Pretty Hurts 2

Kendra is laying in bed in a deep sleep, it was almost like she was in a coma, while Derrick stood over her looking down at her face wrapped in bandages. He couldn't help but question God, and why he would do something like this to him. What did he do to deserve it?

"Sir were you were aware that your wife was six weeks pregnant?" The doctor finally snapped Derrick out of his thoughts. Was. Was pregnant.

"I found out a couple of hours before the wreck," he dead panned, his eyes glued to Kendra. His mind went off thinking of all the possibilites of what it would have been like to have his seed walking around. He didn't hear the doctor talking to him anymore or even pay attention to the fact that he was still in the room.

He had just lost his kid, almost lost his wife, still didn't really know if he lost her yet because she was still out, or what she would be like after her death. He could hear bits and pieces of what the doctor was saying.

Paralyzed from the waist down. She might not walk. Plastic surgery. She'll look different. Memory loss. She might not remember.

Derrick couldn't imagine a whole different Kendra. What if she didn't remember him? Or what if she did remember him, but not them? What if after she got to know him all over again, she wouldn't even want a them? Part of him wanted her to forget that she was pregnant, so that they could just try again and she wouldn't have to deal with the pain of knowing she lost it. What if he no longer found her attractive?

It was his fault. He was too distracted, ran a red light, and got them into a car wreck, because he was trying to see if the baby kicked, even though it was far too early. The baby. It was a girl, Derrick was sure of it.

She would have been a daddy's girl, no doubt about it, he would spoil little Desiree rotten. Kendra would snap at him when he constantly babied her, only to turn around and do it herself. She would be the perfect little angel in their eyes. He'd have to keep his guns around in case he ran into any little boys that fell in love with her like he already had fallen in love with just the idea. He'd teach his little girl the game. Teach her about life so she wouldn't get stuck in a fantasy that everyone in the world was nice and would accept her, and instead that she couldn't trust anyone that wasn't family.

Again, Derrick was driving home, or that's where he, again, planned on going, but instead found his way to yet another bar, again. He found himself sitting on the stool with a empty beer bottle in his hand, six more empty bottles lined up in front of him. Sam Adams had been a friend indeed, helping only to drown him in his sorrows, instead of drown out his sorrows like he hoped for, only to be disappointed again.

Derrick knew he was attractive, but he was tired of these random ass broads walking up to him, like this dark skinned chick that was making her way towards him now. Every black girl made him think of Kendra. This girl though, her dark skin, not the same, not as dark as his love's, still made him think of her. He thought about how insecure she was when they met. He turned her into the woman that she had become.

She thought her hips were too wide. That's just there for me to steer the ship when I'm rocking in that ocean, he would tell her. She thought her skin was too dark. Dark chocolate is the best chocolate for you, and it taste damn good too, he would take her hand and suck on her finger making her laugh. She thought her nose was too big. So it can match yo big ass head, he would make her laugh and say, "now my nose is not that big! And my head not neither!" At least now you know he would tell her. He got her in her heels, her hair always done and her clothes always on point. He turned her into the perfect woman and also made her fall in love with the woman that he and she knew she could be and turned into.

"How you doing tonight?" The broad asked, and he completely ignored her and called the bartender over for another drink. "Playing hard to get huh?" She asked and he ignored her again, so she took a seat next to him, and snatched up his beer when the bartender put it on the counter. He looked over to see her lips wrapped around the rim as she took a swing and set it back down.

He just picked it up, looked at it as if he were inspecting it for some kind of germs, before setting it back in front of her, standing up and walking out the door, with the balance of a sober man and hopping back in his car. Looking at the digital on the dashboard, it read 3:57. Damn near four o'clock in the morning, and he was on his way back to the hospital.

He made it in, snailed around to the elevator and made his way back to Kendra's room. Just like when he left, she was still in the same place, her chest slowly rising and falling from her shallow breathing, just like it would when she was asleep. As soon as he took a seat, a nurse was coming in.

She smiled politely at him before doing her nurse thing, and Derrick leaned his head back into the wall, closed his eyes and dozed off. It wasn't long before he was awakened, and Kendra's doctor, Dr. Scott was standing over her, peeling back some of the bandages from her face.

"Ahh, just in time," he glanced at Derrick. Derrick's heart felt heavy just like every other part of his body, and the head ache wasn't helping that, and the blinding light coming from the window wasn't helping the headache.

It seemed like ages watching the man unwrap the bandages, all the while Derrick was holding his breath. He didn't know how to feel looking down at her. There was nothing wrong with her face, if anything she was flawless. Nothing out of place. She was still as beautiful as ever to him, but her had not fallen in love with her perfections, but instead her flaws that she no longer had.

Her nose no longer had the slight crook in it and was slightly smaller, her lips appeared thinner than the nice plump ones that he had adored. Her cheekbones seemed to be pushed up more, like they were trying to make her look like a model instead of just fixing what was necessary. She was gorgeous, but she wasn't his Kendra.

Derrick didn't know how long he had been staring at her, it didn't seem like long, but like clock work, her eyes slowly fluttered open like she was waking up from a nap. Derrick watched the confusion spread through her face as she looked around the room.

"What's going on?" She asked, her hand going to her throat when she talked. He didn't know what to do, he was stuck. He looked with just his eyes from her to the cup that sat off to the side and she looked and reached for it, only to not be able to move her legs. "Honey, can you hand me that cup please?" She asked. He just looked at her. At least she remember him. "Damn it Derrick, get the fucking bottle and pour me a cup," she said, clutching her throat again.

That snapped him from his thoughts and he slowly moved to the table, opened the bottle of water and poured her a glass and held it out for her, holding her straw. He damn near dropped the cup and shed a tear, remembering two weeks ago, when he had held her cup for her at the restaurant after finding out she was pregnant.

She drank all from the styrophome cup before she spoke again. "Baby what's wrong and why am I in this hospital bed and why can't I feel my legs?" She asked, crushing Derrick's spirit. She didn't remember it all.

Once he started explaining it to her, he had tears streaming down his face. As long as they'd been together, he had never cried like this in front of her. Her chest hurt knowing he was in pain, and her heart broke when she heard about the baby that she wouldn't be having. It was just all bad and on top of that, "Baby, I can't feel my legs," she told him, biting into her lip.

Just then, the doctor walked in. He watched her lay there and the doctor was talking, but he was ignoring him, while he took the pen out of his pocket and drug it up her foot. He knew she didn't feel it when she looked at him and a tear slid down her eye. They both listened to him about how as soon as she gained even a little feeling that she could start physical therapy, and if they were lucky, the feeling could come back as if it were never gone, but she was free to leave whenever she was ready.

Derrick was ready so he took the little wheelchair that the hospital provided and helped his wife get into it before wheeling her out of the building, steady massaging her knees and thighs the whole ride home, in hopes that she would feel it.

Comments make me happy!!! XoxO I had to go ahead and get the second chapter out there since it was in my head lol!