A Moment in Time [Dimitri x Fem! Byleth]

Începe de la început

Byleth raised a hand to place it over the top of her chest. Despite not having a heartbeat, she could still feel the emotional aches and pains.

To see their hearts hardened from enduring the war, something she never wanted to see. As a mercenary, she was used to taking one life after another. With each slice of her blade, her mind always raced at the thought of ruining a household.

To watch someone's life drain from their eyes always haunts her. She may have learned to silence those thoughts as the years went by, but it never stopped them from penetrating the wall in her times of weakness. 

Maybe the constant misfortune was revenge for all the lives she's stolen… 

That same fate will catch up to her one day as well.

No!

Byleth shook her head forcefully as if that would help to rid her mind of bad thoughts.  She has to keep herself together at a time like this. Her students, the church, the Kingdom, and the Alliance all look to her in order to liberate them. 

She could only hope that nights like these are short and few. She needed to stop thinking about her losses. The people of Fódlan have suffered more than she ever had.

Especially the Crowned Prince of Faerghus. Thinking back to the day they met again, those cold desolate eyes chilled her to the bone.

It was as though the happiness he showed all those years ago was brutally ripped from him. Leaving his inner beast bare and ready to strike at anyone that crosses him. 

Byleth felt as though she had to tread carefully with him. One wrong step and even she might face his insatiable wrath. 

The hole she was slowly digging herself into became deeper as guilt flooded through her veins. 

Her skin tingles as her mind constantly tries to find a solution to save him. What kind of teacher would she be if she couldn't help him? 

The boy who was the first to show her kindness. The one who carefully beckoned her away from isolation after the loss of her father with kind words and warm smiles. 

Byleth was sure that even her father wouldn't have an answer to her dilemma.

Thin layers of clouds shrouded the moonlight from her view. Byleth raked a hand through her hair thoughtfully as the wind began to pick up. 

She almost didn't hear the heavy clanking noise of metal boots climbing the unstable rubble. Without turning around, she already knew who would be reckless enough to follow her up here.

Even when she heard his breathing as he stood directly behind her, she made no movement to turn around. Her mind constantly reminding her to tread carefully. 

"You're supposed to be sleeping now, Dimitri." Byleth quietly chided as she looked over towards the bustling market. They especially thrive during this time.

"Don't waste your fruitless scoldings on me, Professor. This body of mine does not succumb to sleep like everyone else." The blonde growled, the reverberation making her shift closer towards the edge. At least if she were to fall, the fall down wouldn't put her in another 5 year coma.

She would just have to suffer with the phantom of Sothis complaining about her choices.

"I see, then why are you here? Do you need something from me?" She asked as she tried to turn around to face him properly.

A gloved hand instantly shot out in the darkness of night, keeping her in place. The feeling of his warm hand made her stand still as she quickly reminded herself about his abnormal strength.