Bell

Knock Knock

I awakened on the first knock and rose up on the second, rubbing the sleep from my eyes and stretching my arms until they snapped like dead branches.

"What is it?" I asked sleepily, yawning and doing some warm up stretches on the floor, I always had to be in tip-top shape to battle, even if Whitebridge was peaceful.

"Daniel sent me to inform you of the meeting, it is starting in an hour." I heard Hanna's voice, the same maid that helped Daniel pick out his first, tacky suit.

"Thank you Hanna." I heard her walk away from the door as I finished my warmups.

I slipped on my boots, grabbed a bucket and cloth, and walked briskly to the stream just outside the wall. There was a small exit from our side. All you had to do was unlock the steel braced door, and you almost stepped into a babbling brook.

I undressed behind a wall of rock, just so any prying eyes couldn't see me, and washed up. It had been awhile since I fully relaxed, so I sat on the rock and just took it easy until I was sure I was clean.

After I was done, I threw back on my clothes and found my way back to the Barracks. For once, everyone was on duty. Probably because we had important guests.

I polished my formal armor, and then started the process off putting it on. First, the chain leggings that strapped onto the loops of my trousers. Next, the chest plate that just tied together in two pieces around my torso.

The rest was easy, slipping on my armored boots, metal knee pads, and emerald gloves. I was fully suited up aside my helmet, lying on the floor from where I tossed it before I went to bed.

I picked up my sword from its place against the stand and sheathed it to my side before twisting the handle from my room to the hall.

As I walked back out the door to the barracks, I remembered to grab my shield from the rack. I tied it around my arm so I still had both hands free.

The trip from home to the lord's house was unusually eventful. There were several new merchants I assumed came from the convoy that had arrived earlier that day, but aside from that it seemed everyone was just going about their day normally. I spotted Colin doing his evening rounds and he caught my attention.

"Lord Richard had more imported goods come in today, and everybody wants a taste." He explained, and I rolled my eyes. Knowing that the money came from these meetings.

"What is it this time?" I asked glumly, knowing that in a few days we would have to confiscate at least a few things from overzealous citizens.

"Aside from the usual fish and fruit. He brought in some silk and about three shipments of wines." I wanted to groan.

"That means there's going to be a lot of drunks in the cells this week. When you get off and if you have time, straighten them up will you?" I asked politely, and he nodded.

"Of course Alyia, I'll try to get some of the others to help too." He looked a little nervous when I started to chuckle.

"Good luck with that. The others do about as much extra work as the drunks. I wouldn't be surprised if we're sobering up some of our own." I patted him on the back as he went by to continue his rounds, and I parted the crowd as I came to the end of the brownstone road.

The beginning of the hill up to the lord's house was patrolled by two guards I didn't recognize, and their silver plated armor was a design I'd never seen before.

They stopped me as I approached the path.

"No entry guard. Continue your patrol elsewhere." The right one said gruffly. I raised an eyebrow at his words.