Chapter Two

EDITED

Ginny and I walked up and down the train trying to find an empty compartment. There were more students than usual because of the new first years. As we walked, Ginny told me about her summer and I told her about mine. We finally found a compartment without anybody in it. We sat down. I pulled Blue Cauldron out of my bag and continued reading while Ginny took a nap. I was so caught up in reading my book that I didn't notice the door open or that someone sat across from me.

"Granger?"

I jumped ( not literally ) and looked at the person.

"Malfoy?" I exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"That depends. By 'here' do you mean this compartment, or on the train in general." Malfoy said. His voice lacked the usual hatred; on the other hand he sounded bored and tired. Malfoy had bags under his eyes, he clearly wasn't sleeping well; and his hair wasn't styled like it usually was. What was up with him?

Why do I care?

Well, that's obvious. He is suffering, as am I. He may be having nightmares, alike me. Insomnia, maybe?

I must have been staring because he cleared his throat.

"Both." I muttered.

"Well, I'm on the train for the same reason you and Weaslette are. As for the compartment, I was here before you." Malfoy gestured to his trunk, which I hadn't seen earlier.

"Oh," I said flatly. "I'm sorry. I didn't think anyone was in here."

I turned back to my book. Malfoy cleared his throat again. Goodness, he didn't think I was going to move, did he? I ignored him and continued reading. He cleared his throat a couple more times, and each time I ignored him. Then, Malfoy did something so bold and outrageous that, had I been expecting it, I would have cursed him.

He took my book.

Plucked it right out of my hands, and right in the middle of a sentence! How dare he! Who does he think he is?!

"MALFOY! GIVE ME BACK MY BOOK!" I yelled, pointing my wand at him. He held it behind his back.

"Now, now, Granger," he drawled, "wouldn't want to get in trouble for hexing a student on your first day back, now would you? "

I paused for a moment contemplating his words. Very slowly, I lowered my wand.

"There we go," he said.

"Give me my book, now, Malfoy." I said through gritted teeth.

Malfoy looked thoughtful, and for a minute I thought he was going to give me my book. Instead he smirked and shook his head.

"Nope." He held the book high above his head. I jumped, trying to reach it, but he kept moving his arm.

"MALFOY. GIVE. ME. MY. BOOK." I yelled. How is Ginny still asleep? I was getting tired of jumping.

"Accio Blue Cauldron."

And the book was mine. I smirked at Malfoy and he shook his head.

"I wondered when you'd remember that you're a witch."

I ignored him and sat back down to continue reading. He sighed loudly; but didn't make another sound. We endured the train ride in silence. After a while, the words on the pages in front of me began to blur together and I fell asleep.

∞∞∞∞

"Granger."

I awoke to someone shaking my shoulder and calling my name. I slowly opened my eyes to see Malfoy standing next to me.

"Yes?"

"We'll be at the station soon, and you still need to get changed," Malfoy said. He gestured to my Muggle jeans and t-shirt. I abruptly stood and began to gather my uniform.

"Thanks, Malfoy," I called as I walked out the door.

I had just gotten back to the compartment when the train stopped.

Thank goodness, I thought. I grabbed my trunk and left the train. When I reached the carriages none of my Gryffindor buddies were anywhere to be seen. The only carriage left held Malfoy, Pansy Parkinson, and Blaise Zabini.

Fun.

Hello!
I know that this is a super short chapter and I'm really sorry about that. But between school, basketball, and cheer I haven't had much time.
If you haven't heard Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran yet, GO. NOW. LISTEN. And watch the music video. I love the dance.
Hopefully the next update will be longer, but no promises.

XOXO,
Slytherin Princess