Playing with Fire - Part 2

"Happy birthday Dee!"

"Thanks big bro," I smiled, pulling Tom into a huge bear hug. I pulled the present from him out of my bag and started to rip at the paper. I pulled out a medium sized cardboard box and started to open that too. When I eventually got into it, I looked inside, and my breath caught in my throat. I gently eased out the fragile contents. I was looking at the most beautiful music box I had ever seen. It was a circular glass base, with two beautiful crystal unicorns on top, and to make the music play, I turned the base round and let it go again. It started playing a mesmerising tune. It sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it.

"In case you're wondering, the song is from Sleeping Beauty," my brother said, reading my mind.

"I can't believe you got this for me. It's gorgeous," I whispered, still staring at the beautiful creation. Sleeping Beauty had been my favourite film as a child. Without warning, I pounced on my brother and gave him the biggest cuddle I could possibly give him without breaking his bones. The meal was amazing, and I was having a fantastic time. Before I knew it, we'd finished dessert and the waiter had brought over our coffees and the bill. As he moved to walk away from the table, my eye caught on to something strange by the entrance of the restaurant. There was a young man standing there, having an argument with a girl. The man looked familiar, and then it hit me, it was Mathew. What was he doing here? Who was the girl he was shouting at? Suddenly, he turned and saw me. A look of surprise appeared on his face and he started smiling at the girl. What was going on? Why did he stop arguing with her when he saw me? The next thing I knew, he was walking over to our table with a smile on his face.

"Hi Dee," he said, looking a bit apprehensive when he noticed my brother.

"Hi again," I replied, confused.

"What's going on here then? A celebration?" he asked, eyeing my brother suspiciously.

"Yes, it's Dee's birthday. And it's a family meal, so..." replied my brother, stony faced.

"Oh, I'm sorry, how rude of me. Happy birthday Dee,"

"Thanks," I replied, not knowing what else I could say.

With that, he smiled again, and walked away abruptly.

"Who was that?" Tom asked, watching Mathew walk towards the exit and disappear out the door.

"Mathew. Just someone I know from college. He started yesterday,"

"Do me a favour Dee, be careful ok?"

"What do you mean?" I asked curiously.

"Let me get this," he said, dodging my question, and picking up the bill. He pulled his wallet out of his pocket and walked towards the register. What was that all about?

____________________________________

I jumped out of my car, locked up, and walked towards my friends.

"Hey Becky, Joe," I smiled, giving them both a hug.

"How was the meal?" replied Becky, sitting back on the wall.

"Yeah, it was really good, I had a fantastic time. Something weird happened though," I said, and I told them about Mathew arguing with the girl, and about my brothers reaction when he came to the table. They looked as puzzled as I felt.

"I wonder what that was about?" Joe mused.

"I didn't get it either,"

"Shush, both of you, he's heading this way," Becky said quickly, looking nonchalant. I looked round, she was right, he was walking over again, smiling.