Guts' jaw clenched as he watched Casca, helpless to do anything to ease her pain. He felt his nails dig into his palm on one side while the whine of metal on metal could be heard from his other.

"His hands, I can still feel his hands," Casca choked, clutching at herself. She drew further into herself and away from Guts which made Guts' heart hurt. "He's just staring at me," Guts could feel anger bubbling inside him as she listened to her words and his head was starting to hurt from holding back tears.

"I'm sorry I couldn't stop him," Guts said, a rare tone of defeat in his voice.

Casca forced herself to calm her breath and straighten up once more. She raised her head shakily to look up at Guts. "He hurt you too, didn't he."

Guts shook his head, "Who cares what he did to me, you had it worse. And that bastard is going to pay." He paused then added, "Or maybe we could settle down and try our best to live. We'll discuss further when you're feeling better."

"I could see you, you know," Casca said. She reached up slowly and placed a hand on Guts' face. As she did so, Guts found it surprisingly easy not to flinch and even leaned into her touch, ever so slightly.

"Your eye." Her voice was heavy with regret. She lingered for a moment then moved her hand across his chest and down to his left arm, "And this. Although I suppose it has come in handy during our many fights, hasn't it."

"Now you're changing the subject," Guts said gruffly. He raised his other arm cautiously and placed his hand over Casca's. When she didn't move away, he let out a breath he didn't realise he was holding and at last his face too, became tear-streaked.

The two stayed there for a long while in silence. They knelt in silence, tears falling onto the dirt creating small stains of mud. For a while, the only sound was the wind whistling through the trees and birdsong in the distance.

At that moment, the world shrank to just the two of them.

"I can't believe you're back," Guts whispered.

Casca didn't answer right away and Guts was almost worried he had somehow said or done something wrong when she surprised him by throwing her arms around him in a hug. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." Guts paused then spoke so softly it was barely audible, "Can I kiss you?"

"You're asking?" Casca replied, raising her head slowly.

Guts shrugged, "Well yeah, I mean. After everything, I figured-" Casca cut him off by pulling him down towards her and planting a kiss on his lips.

When they pulled apart at last, Guts was smiling. Really smiling, for the first time in what felt like an eternity. Casca was back and maybe, just maybe, things were going to be okay.

Then Casca mumbled something and Guts forced himself to focus again. "What was that?" he asked, looking down at her frail form, cradled in his arms.

"I said," Casca repeated straightening up, "This isn't fair. Now I'm never gonna be even with you."

"What?"

She had a pained expression, "You have more scars than ever because of me, what am I ever gonna do to compare with that?" Before Guts could even think to reply, Casca reached up and slapped him.

Guts flinched at the blow but more out of surprise than actual pain. He blinked at Casca in bewilderment as she stared him down. "You need to stop getting hurt because of me," she insisted dejectedly.

For a moment there was silence as Guts slowly reached up to touch his face where she had struck him. And then he burst out laughing. A loud booming sound that cut through the forest sending woodland creatures scattering. A sound that hadn't been heard in years.

Casca screwed her face up in annoyance but it quickly softened into happiness when Guts pulled her into a hug once more. "You're back," he repeated over and over again like a prayer. Reassuring himself as much as he was convincing Casca. "You're really back."

"I am."

They kissed again, more desperate this time, hungrily. Making up for time unimaginable spent so close yet so far.

"You really are in need of some training though," Guts murmured in her ear, biting back a teasing smile. "That slap didn't hurt nearly as much as it used to."

Casca laughed, still half crying. "Shut up," she said lovingly, "Do you want me to hit you harder?"

"I'd like to see you try."

"You won't have to wait long, I promise. I'll be back in shape in no time, you'll see."

Guts just pulled her closer towards himself. "Sounds like a plan."

***

Isidro peeked out from behind a tree and squinted at the two figures, kneeling in the distance. "What are they saying? I can't tell from here."

Puck buzzed around his head, "Want me to go take a closer look? I can be very stealthy."

Ivalera sighed and grabbed onto Puck, holding him back, "You will do no such thing, give the two some privacy will you?"

"She's right, get back here boy," Schierke agreed, pulling Isidro away as well.

"Hey let go," Isidro complained, wriggling out of her grasp. As he did so, he lost balance and fell out from behind the tree. Groaning, he looked up just in time to see Casca reach up and slap Guts across the face.

He leapt to his feet and rubbed his eyes in disbelief, "Woah, what was that? Casca just slapped him! And he's laughing? Should we go help him?"

Schierke shook her head in amusement, "You are such a kid."

"What are you talking about?"Isidro demanded indignantly.

"Never mind," Schierked said, slumping to the ground. Her expression was peaceful as she spoke, "Casca truly is back, and that's all you need to know."

To Be Continued? (I haven't decided yet)