c h a p t e r o n e

~ tulsa, oklahoma. may 16, 1965 ~

"hey, open up." ponyboy curtis, madi's boyfriend of two years, was knocking at her window at 2:46am.

"what's wrong?" she says while carefully opening the squeaky frame of the glass covering.

"nothing" he said, "i missed you" pony began to hug her tightly, he was known for this. coming late at night, then snuggling with her.

ponyboy curtis was soft for her, he wasn't the best in school, but he wasn't the worst. he never really paid attention to anything, and he didn't know how to use his head. he was in a gang after all, what do you expect ?

summer was a drag, nothing really happened, only rumbles and fights which i could never be in. the only fun parts were hanging out with pony and her best friend, hallie.

   she and pony hopped in her bed and quietly went to sleep with her in his arms.

                      ~ that same morning ~

    she felt the light of the sun hit her face, she opened her eyes to see pony was sitting at the window watching the sunrise. she got up and walked over to him, she wrapped her arms around his waist and kissed his head.

     "morning pone," she said with a smile. "morning beautiful," he replied while turning around to face her. he kissed her cheek softly and slipped out the window to go to his lovely household.

     "see you tonight?" "nightly double" "7:30" "as always" they both said smiling, she then made her way downstairs to see hallie, and her mother, making breakfast. "morning ma," hallie's mother was basically her mother. she was there for all her life.

     "mornin honey, how bout you join hals at the table and eat." she said smiling, hallie looked straight at madi. "was pony here again?" she said whispering, madi nodded and tried to hold back a smile. "how bout johnny?" madi asked, hallie also nodded and both the girls giggled

    "what's so funny?..." "nothing ma."