Chapter Nine

(Asher)

Her taste lingered still. His lower half throbbed with need, aching for a release Asher knew she was not ready to give. He stood just inside the barn, eyes trailing her as she led mother and foal to their grazing pasture. Henry watched her as well. Hatred, pure and dark, radiated from the young boy. Asher's lips tilted into a frown. He could not figure out why his stable boy bore such an intense animosity towards River. Alas, it was something he would have to deal with sooner than later.

Asher watched Henry make his approach, fists bawled at his side. With a sigh, Asher followed. He did not know what intent Henry bore but he would not, could not, allow him to lay hands on River. River's back was turned. She never saw Henry approach, not until his fingers dug into the flesh of her arm. He forced her to turn.

"Who told you to touch the horses?" He accused.

"That would be me." Asher answered, strolling up behind the young stable boy. He froze, face turning slightly.

"That's MY job." Henry spoke, malice dripping from every word.

Asher lifted a shoulder, "My apologizes. I did not think you would mind the help." His gaze travelled to River. He could see the fear in her eyes, the way Henry's nails still dug in her arm, "You may release her now."

Henry's hand did not immediately fall away. He hesitated, eyes slithering over River as if trying to decide what to do with her. After a long moment, Henry finally relented. River cradled her arm against her chest. She dropped the mare's rein before brushing past Asher and hurrying into the house.

Asher could stand it no longer. His hand shot out, fingers wrapping around the base of Henry's throat, "Touch her again and you will no longer be welcome here. Is that understood?" he growled.

Henry quivered beneath his touch. In that moment, Asher understood his anger. His hand dropped away, head shaking in dismay. Oh what a fool he had been. How had he never noticed it before? Henry was always underfoot, always making himself available whenever Asher had need of something. The poor boy desired him.

"Henry..." Asher began to speak.

"I won't touch her again." He muttered before kicking at a mound of dirt. He muttered a string of apologies. He did not mean a word of it.

Asher felt a sting of remorse, of guilt. He knew he would have to send Henry away. If not that day, then eventually. If Asher had not intervened, he was sure the young stable boy would have caused River harm. Asher covered his mouth. Oh, what was to be done? He felt nothing but friendship towards the boy. Though he had indulged in the pleasures of men a few times throughout his centuries upon this earth, he had and always would prefer women.

"You must behave yourself, Henry, please." Asher found himself almost begging the boy, "Do not force me to choose between the two of you."

Henry met Asher's gaze, "Because you will choose her?" His voice quivered.

"Aye. I will choose her, Henry." Asher replied honestly, "There is nothing but friendship between you and I. There will never be anything BUT friendship. Do I make myself clear?"

Henry's jaw hardened, "Crystal."

Asher nodded, "Very well." He motioned his hand towards the horses, "Now, see to the horses."

Asher turned his back on Henry. His feet carried him towards the house and towards River. Nira met him at the door. She lifted an eyebrow, gaze travelling past him, "What the hell did he do to her?" She bit, "She's a mess."

"I've spoken with him. He won't touch her again."

Nira's lips tilted into a frown, "You and I both know that's a lie."

Asher was in no mood for Nira. His only desire was to check on River. He brushed past her. He bounded up the spiral staircase, making his way to her room. Her door was open a crack. He froze. Though it was open barely a sliver, it was enough to catch sight of her bare flesh. Blood rushed to his nether regions.

He could not move away though he knew he should. Palm resting against the wall, he allowed his eyes to feast upon the curves of her frail body. Her breasts, though quite small, beckoned to him. He imagined how well they fit in the palm of his hand, the way they would taste beneath his lips.

She did not seem to notice the intrusion. She continued to undress, allowing the fabric to fall against the floor. He bit back a groan. His eyes dropped to the delicate dip between her legs. A shudder ran down his spine. What he was doing was wrong. It was an invasion.

Her hands moved upwards, fingers plucking away the pins that kept her hair in place. She shook her hair free. It cascaded down her back like waves of a fountain. If Asher did not know better, he would almost think she knew he was there.... that she was putting on a show for his eyes and his eyes only. It was a ludicrous suggestion.... or was it?

He stepped from the door. He cleared his throat, knuckles rapping against the cracked door. "River. Are you decent?" He called out, knowing full well that she was anything but.

"Just a moment!" she called back. There was a shuffling of clothing, the sound of fabric sliding against flesh, before she appeared at the door. Her eyes were tinged red. He knew she had been weeping.

"Are you well?"

She tucked back a loose strand of hair, eyes avoiding his. "Aye."

She wore nothing but a robe. It was less than discreet, allowing him an ample sight of her flesh. Perhaps she did not realize the thinness of the material or, perhaps, she simply did not care. Her arms dropped away. He sucked in a breath of air. Somehow, the indent her nipples made against the material was more stimulating than the sight of her breasts bare.

"Are you sure?" He pressed the issue, stepping closer. His fingers grazed her bare cheek, "He did not harm you, did he?"

"N-no." She stumbled over the word. His touch still made her uncomfortable. He sought to remedy that. His head lowered, lips brushing against hers once more. She did not pull away.

A voice screamed at him, begged him to turn away. He did not. He deepened the kiss, arm wrapping around her waist. He backed her into the room, door slamming behind them.