Chapter 2: George V

Start from the beginning

George looks up from the writing he had managed to place so quickly upon the page. His weakened fingers beginning to ache from the writing. He tried to stand up, as he did it wasn't hard to hear him straining to stand, as he audibly makes his strain obvious with a load moan of pain as he stands. He walks around the room, a shake in each step, as he runs his hand through the thin grey hairs that sit upon his head. Whilst a wrinkly old man by no means, it is clear the stress of losing the empire had an effect on his body. His eyes sunken into his head, his beard, whilst still large, was quite grey, even white on the tips. His forehead marked by age and stress. He stared out of the window of the study, the beautiful night sky before him. The stars glowing bright across the night sky, the moon a large crescent, the inside on the left, as the moon would transition to darkness later in the month.

He retreated back to his desk, the pages of his journal still open and out on his desk. He sat down, audibly straining again has he slowly lowered himself back into his seat, using the desk to prop himself up, and keep him from falling onto the floor should his legs give. He stared at the pages, one full completely, and a small start to writing on the other page. He picked up his pen and began twirling it in his hands, before putting the head to the paper, and continuing his entry.

"There is also the matter of my limited allies. Pétain in French North Africa, the last remnants of the old French Republic, I don't believe to be likely to forsake this alliance. They know that the only way they will ever be able to retake the mainland is with the assistance of the Entente. The Kingdom of Sardinia, within Pétain's sphere, also being a member, though only kept alive with French armament shipments, and the fear of syndicalism reaching the Island. The legitimate government of Italy, they are too closely aligned with France to consider leaving the alliance, and too weak to do anything by themselves if they did. Portugal, though not in the alliance, is still close to us, the treaty of 1373 still holds on, and it would not be hard to request their entrance into the Entente, even if their leader is a national populist, and the government rather theological and nationalistic.

Then there is India and the Australasian Confederation. After the uprising in Melbourne, and declaration of the Melbourne commune, we have had to hold the country together by force. Under William Birdwood, Australasia has become stagnant, and many have become dissatisfied with Birdwood, Democrats, syndicalists, even the influential, and loyal, Australasian Guard, has become unhappy. I expect the calls for democracy will be ratified sometime in the near future. My only fear in the country is the rise of John Curtin. He has managed to gain a following among workers, and I worry that he may be able to gain control during an election, or even oust an already existing government, using popular support. Australasia First is not much better, but at least they aren't syndicalist.

India has been divided since the rebellion in Britain. Afghanistan seized control of Peshawar and Quetta in the Chaos that spread across India. Burma declared independence and Thailand annexed land from them, Bhutan annexed a piece of Assam, and Nepal occupied Uttarakhand and Gorakhpur. The remainder of the subcontinent split between the rightful Raj government, the southern federation of princely states, and the vile eastern syndicalists, under the government in Calcutta. The subcontinent split and broken, but, one day, the Raj will rightfully be restored.
South Africa are nothing but traitors. Their nationalist government broke from the Empire, bringing it even further down. Despite this, there is a large group of dominionists under Jan Smuts, who have the potential to win the next South African election, though, with the tension between nationalists and dominionists, it is likely that a civil war would emerge despite who wins the next election.

Then, America, the original rebellion. Since the Great War, and the economic crash in America, and the failure of Herbert Hoover in fixing the economy, instability plagues the nation, with the two-party system breaking down. Not to mention the fact that they have often gone behind our backs, hurting relations now, and likely in the future. The next election looks like it could be won by one of four parties, America First, lead by Huey Long, the despicable Socialist Party of America, lead by Jack Reed the Democrats, under John Nance Garner, or the Republicans, who will likely choose Alf Landon as their next representative. No matter what happens, it looks like the days of American democracy are numbered.

Canada is stable, despite a political split, my hope is to remain stable enough, and strong enough, to one day return home, but I doubt that will happen soon."

George placed his pen pack into the pen well, as he let the book dry on his desk. He moved his hand to his mouth as he let out a yawn. He decided it best to leave his journal to dry on his desk, whilst he goes to bed, and that he will lock it away the next morning, little did he know, he would never see the next morning.

That night, His Majesty George V would climb into his bed for the last time, and die of a heart attack in his sleep that night, a peaceful death for the ruler, but it would leave the remnants of the Empire, and the responsibility of reclaiming the home isles, to the young David, who would be coronated the next month as Edward VIII, the first king to be coronated outside of England, and new King-Emperor of the British Empire.

The King is dead, long live the king.