17

That night, I climb up a tree and strap myself in 25 feet above the ground, staring out into the forest.

What have I done? I just gave the symbol for war. I could cause a war, an uprising, killing countless people like the last one did! Victors, District civilians and Capitol civilians alike all died due to a simple act of attempted suicide.

I thought I was trying to save my humanity, but I just lost all of it.

A small scrape below and to my right snaps me from my stupor. A small spark flies and then begins a flame. A silhouette appears behind the flames. The flames grow and a face becomes visible.

Shortly cropped brown hair. Cold brown eyes. I cover my mouth with my hand to keep from screaming.

Birch.

I need to get this over with. I need to kill him now, to make this game a whole lot easier. Just Peter, Ingrid, Carter and me. Only 2 tough opponents left. Now I have an easy opportunity to get rid of a formidable enemy.

But I can't.

I don't know what stops me from pulling a knife from my belt and lodging it in his chest. I hate him, for killing my father, for hurting my sister like he did. But I can't will myself to kill him.

I've killed so many others, too many others. Why is he different? He should be number 1 on my kill list, but he didn't even make the cut.

I attacked him on the train. Why not now, when I'm allowed to? When I cannot only attack him, but kill him too?

I can. I will. I need to do this.

Nothing is stopping me.

No.

I need to do something else.

This is an incredibly stupid plan. It'll probably get me killed. But I will anyway.

"Birch?"

His head snaps up from its position behind the flames. He raises a sharp sword, looking around. His eyes land on me in my perch.

"Oh, well isn't it Hazel?" He smirks. "Why didn't you just kill me? Seem to cruel for you?"

"No." I say bluntly. "I just wanted to strike up a conversation with my father's killer."

He puts his hand to his chest in mock surprise. "Me? A killer? Oh, no!"

I glare down at him. "So I heard you were a Career."

"How'd you get that information?" He says, in actual surprise.

"Oh, yanno, word travels on the market. And I kinda lodged a knife in your shoulder."

"That was you, you little-"

"Yeah, I know." I roll my eyes at him.

He glares at me. "I would come up there and kill you, but I'm trying not to leave my squirrel unattended less it burns over the fire." He says sarcastically.

I untie myself and climb higher up the thin tree. At the top, I stop and sway in the breeze.

I hear a few thunks as his boots push him upwards. Then a snap as a branch crumbles under his weight.

"Okay down there?" I shout, louder than needed.

"Shut up!" The reply comes.

"You're so stupid." I whisper. If I can't kill him, someone else can.

The process repeats a couple of times before he gives up. I look out to my left and see a small dot of light trekking through the woods.

"I'm trying to spot anything!" I shout downwards. Hopefully, that's Carter, with a sword. Hopefully he hears me.

After a pause, I scream, "I don't see anything!"

"I said shut up!" His reply comes. The speck of light gets closer.

It should be close, I think sickeningly.

"Make me!" I shout back down, extra loud.

I can see Birch's fire from here and the torch (I'm assuming that's what it is) beginning to speed up.

I watch as the torch appears underneath the tree. A hear a scream. Then a cannon.

I've only ever done this once. There's a tree a few feet away.

I stand precariously on a thin branch and jump.

I catch myself on a thick branch as silently as possible. I watch the light swing around and then walk away.

Carter, Ingrid, Peter and me.

------

Well, the moment we've all been waiting for --

Birch's death!

Hehehehe.

(Well, I hope none of you really liked him, ha)

-Zane