Rose Azure 12: Irritations

Start from the beginning

Flashback

Ron, Neville and Hermione had been walking up the staircases to go their common room when suddenly the staircases switched. They quickly ran up before they switched again. Mrs. Norris came into view.

"Quick let's go before Filch gets here," Ron said nervously.

They ran for the end of the corridor where Ron tried the door. "It's locked!" Ron said panicking as they heard Filch shuffling closer.

"Oh move over," Hermione snarled. She whispered, "Alohmora."

The lock clicked and the door swung open – they piled through it, shut it quickly, and pressed their ears against it, listening.

"He thinks this door is locked," Hermione whispered. "I think we'll be okay – get off, Neville!" For Neville had been tugging on the sleeve of Hermione's robe for the last minute. "What?"

                                                                                              Cerberus

                                                                                              Cerberus

Hermione turned around - and saw, quite clearly, what. For a moment, she was sure she walked into a nightmare – this was too much, on top of everything that had happened so far.

They weren't in a room as she had supposed. They were in a corridor. The forbidden corridor on the third floor. And now they knew why it was forbidden.

They were looking straight into the eyes of a monstrous dog, a dog that filled the whole space between ceiling and floor. It had three heads. Three pairs of rolling, mad eyes; three noses, twitching and quivering in their direction; three drooling mouths, saliva hanging in slippery ropes from yellowish fangs.

It was standing quite still all six eyes starting at them, and Ron knew that the only reason they weren't already dead was that their sudden appearance had taken it by surprised, but it was quickly getting over that, there was no mistaking what those thunderous growls meant.

Ron groped for the doorknob –between Filch and death, he'd take Filch and death, he'd take Filch.

They fell backward – Neville slammed the door shut, and they ran, they almost flew, back down the corridor. Filch must have hurried off to look for them somewhere else, because they didn't see him anywhere, but they hardly cared – all they wanted to do was put as much space as possible between them and that monster. They didn't stop running until they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady on the seventh floor.

"Where on earth have you all been? Cutting curfew pretty close." She asked, looking at their robes hanging off their shoulders and their flushed, sweaty faces.

"Never mind that – pig snout, pig snout," panted Ron, and the portrait swung forward. They scrambled into the common room and collapsed, trembling, into armchairs.