nine - the gate pt.1

Depuis le début

"It wants to use me" Imogen mumbled," We were right"

"Do not" Eleven started slowly," Let it in" Imogen had a grim look on her face, as she nodded.

━━━━◦━━━━◦━━━━◦━━━━

Imogen had found herself alone in the kitchen, needing to breathe after hearing Eleven confirm her theory. Each time she closed her eyes for more than two seconds, the flashbacks from the middle school came flooding back in.

She had closed that door but it reopened after knowing that she was something the Mind Flayer had wanted—just because of her grief.

Was it because she was so damaged?

Damaged.

The word haunted her mind, burning in her brain as it sunk in. The reality she wanted, leaving Hawkins seemed far away now. What would happen if she left? Would she still be targeted?

No. She couldn't run away, she was never raised a coward.

"Hey" Imogen jumped to the sound of a deep voice, making her slowly turn to see it was Steve.

"Hey" She responded softly, leaning on the kitchen counter, as he walked over to her.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

She stared at him biting her lip," About what?"

"Everything. Or more of—what you talked about with Eleven"

Imogen closed her eyes," How do you notice these things?"

"Because" She felt a finger between her eyebrows making her open her eyes," When you are bothered about something, you do this" Steve tried to mimic her expression on his face, making her snort.

"What are you doing Steve?"

He smiled hearing her laugh," Trying to show you how you look—but clearly, I failed at that"

She then raised her eyebrow folding her arms "So, it's that simple? I just— scrunch my nose and furrow my brows?"

He shook his head," No, I just know how to read your gestures, —when your sad, you would downcast your eyes, and bite your lip. When your happy, you would drum your fingers while you involuntarily hum, when it's slow your neutrally happy, but then you hum fast you are overjoyed and excited. Then when your nervous, you'd bit your nails or" He lifted his hand back to her brows," Make this adorable scrunched up face"

Imogen felt her heart flutter hearing Steve express his knowledge, on her habits.

"What about when I'm angry?" She challenged him and he smirked," Oh you don't need to guess on that one" She tilted her head as he placed his hands on his hips," You missy, are very open about that emotion"

"Should I find that offensive?"

"No" He quickly denied," It makes people know you're not someone who should be messed with"

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?"

He pursed his lips and shrugged his shoulder," Depends on you honestly, I think it's sexy"

She made a face and then let out a laugh," God Steve, really?"

"Obviously" He waved his hand

She looked at him for a moment and then confessed what she learned," The Mind Flayer, it finds me as a candidate for possession, or whatever it's called"

Steve's smile dropped as he stepped closer," Why?" He watched her place her hand on her torso," Because of my grief, apparently, It finds me as an easy target. Basically, it's fear over grief for that creature"