14. Bestie Ain't The Best Anymore

Começar do início

"Just hold this."
I aligned everyone accordingly.

Pete had arrived by then.
We stood in a queue carrying boards with messages written on them.

"What are you guys doing now?"

Pond, who was the first one standing in the queue raised his board above for Pete to read.
"We've been through only good times so far. Let's just suppose that this is the first and last bad phase of our relationship."

After Pete was done reading, Pond moved aside.

Then came Nia's-
"This is all that I can do to show my affection. All I want now is to hear that you've forgiven me."

Tin's-
"Let this one slide Pete.
JUST LET THIS ONE SLIDE."

It was my turn now. I stepped forward and raised the board. Pete looked at me and chuckled. I checked and realised that I was holding it upside down. Before I could rotate it, Mini came forward.

"I'm sorry." her board said. It was then when I realised that our boards had gotten swapped. I was supposed to carry the board which had "I'm Sorry" written on it.

Pete approached her. She immediately wrapped her arms around his neck. Everybody applauded but I just stood still.

I did not expect him to be generous enough to react on such a stupid set up that I had worked on to strengthen Mini's apology but seeing him smile cleared my doubts. His unromantic ass wasn't that heartless.

"So have you forgiven me?" Mini asked.

"What do you think?" he said as he broke the hug.

She giggled happily and leaned forward. As soon as I sensed that she was going to kiss him, I turned away.

And at that very moment, I felt a sudden sting inside my chest. To be honest, there wasn't even the slightest feeling of satisfaction that I thought I'd get after they patch up.

Infact, I felt bad. I felt disappointed. As if I never really wanted them to get back together. I just helped her like a best friend should. Well honestly, she had been pressurising me all the while. I knew that I had a crush on Pete but not to the point where I would stop being a well wisher of my bff. Then, why was I triggered?

It was just about a few butterflies in my stomach. It wasn't more than that right? Right?

I stared at the board that I was holding.

"I Love You"

That was definitely the wrong one! It belonged to Mini. Pete couldn't read it though. But why was I sad? Why? He was not a gay guy like me. He would never like me. Not even in his wildest dreams. Then why couldn't I get him out of my head?
I kept walking ahead without turning back and finally reached the classroom.

I struggled to persuade myself and tried to focus on the lecture when my phone beeped.

Pete: I won't be able to attend the lecture today. Please take care of my proxy. I'll be borrowing your notes.

The truth was inevitable. He was Mini's boyfriend. I had no right to develop even the tiniest amount feelings for him. But my ignorant inner self just refused to stop. I was feeling even worse after reading his text. They must have gone to hang out at some cafe or for a movie or some..hotel room... Maybe?

"Ughhh..."
I rubbed my forehead while scribbling some random shit in the notebook in an attempt to supress my exasperation.

Pete×Mini-
Perfect
Eye Candies
May last forever