Traumatic injuries

Start from the beginning

If a tooth is simply loose, have the person bite down on a piece of gauze and call their dentist. Chipped or cracked teeth can be quite painful. If blood is visible at the crack, prompt dental care is required to prevent loss of the tooth. Injured teeth may later begin to turn color. This suggests an injury to the nerve, and a visit to the dentist is warranted.

NOSEBLEEDS

Nosebleeds can be quite dramatic and are often messy. Be sure to wear personal protective equipment and eye protection when attending to nosebleeds. Persons with nosebleeds often swallow a fair amount of blood, which may result in vomiting. Therefore, you should prepare for the worst.

After ensuring that the scene is safe and protective equipment is on, press both sides of the nostrils just below the bony portion of the nose for a minimum of 5 to 10 minutes. If bleeding continues, try holding pressure for an additional 10 minutes. If bleeding continues after this, seek further medical care. If the victim has trouble breathing or show signs of severe distress, call 911.

 If the victim has trouble breathing or show signs of severe distress, call 911

Figure 7

PUNCTURES AND IMPALED OBJECTS

Puncture wounds and impaled objects pose special risk to the injured person. Puncture wounds may penetrate deeper than is apparent and injure sensitive structures such as nerves, muscles, tendons, or blood vessels. Control the bleeding from puncture wounds with direct pressure, and then seek further medical attention. Puncture wounds may carry germs deep within a wound and may result in serious infections. Therefore, any serious puncture wound should be evaluated by a professional as soon as possible.

Impaled objects must be left in place. It is important to understand that the object may pinch off a blood vessel, and removal of the object may result in massive blood loss from an injured blood vessel. Stabilize impaled objects with gauze and dressings and transport the person to the emergency department.

EYE PROBLEMS

Figure 8

Common eye injuries can result from direct blows, foreign bodies, or inadvertent scratching of the eye. Symptoms include immediate pain, tearing, changing vision, and redness. Bruising and bleeding can also occur. More serious injuries include punctures and lacerations.

Simple irritants such as dust or debris can be flushed using water. Any chemical exposure to the eye should be flushed with copious amounts of water; and you should call 911. Special equipment can be required to adequately irrigate the eye, so you should seek professional care.

If a more serious injury to the eye is suspected, call 911. Protect both eyes with a bandage or eye shield. Because the eyes work in pairs, leaving one eye uncovered causes both eyes to move when the good eye tracks objects. Covering both eyes minimizes the movement of the injured eye. However, doing so leaves the person effectively blind, which can be dangerous and frightening to the person. Never leave a person with both eyes bandaged alone. They will require verbal cues about their environment around them as well as reassurance. A physician skilled in eye care must evaluate these injuries.