✰Chapter 1: Halloween✰

Haddonfield

October 31, 1978

------------------------

     Y/N, 17 and pretty in a quiet sort of way, steps out of her two-story frame house, down the front walk to the street. Her face has a soft, innocent quality, her eyes bright and alive. Her father steps out of the door behind her and walks to the car in the driveway. His car has "L/N REAL ESTATE" emblazoned on the side door.

     "Don't forget to drop off the key at the Myers place." He reminds. "I won't." Y/N replies. "They're coming by to see the house at 10:30. Be sure you leave it under the mat.." "I promise!"

     Y/N walks down the residential street. She carries a large bundle of schoolbooks in her arms. Across a backyard Tommy Doyle, an eight-year-old boy with tousled brown hair and bright blue eyes comes running with his books.

     "Hey, Y/N!" He smiles. "Hi, Tommy." He catches up with her and they walk along the street. "Are you coming over tonight?" He asks. "Same time, same place!" Y/N replies. "Can we make jack-o-lanterns?" He looks over at Y/N. "Sure." "Can we watch the monster movies?" "Sure." "Will you read to me? Can we make popcorn?" "Sure. Sure!" Y/N laughs.

     They walk up to the front of the old, two-story Myers house set back from the street. It is now weather-beaten and dilapidated. Y/N walks through the front gate and starts up towards the porch.

     "You're not supposed to go up there." Tommy says. Y/N holds up a key. "Yes, I am." She smiles. "Uh-uh. That's a spook house." He rebuts. "Just watch."

     Y/N strolls up to the front porch. She bends down, lifts the welcome mat and places the key under it. She walks back to Tommy and continue walking down the street. "Lonnie Elam said never to go up there.  Lonnie Elam said that's a haunted house. He said real awful stuff happened there!" Tommy urged. "Lonnie Elam probably won't get out of the sixth grade." Y/N teased.

     Tommy breaks stride and runs across the street. "I gotta go. I'll see you tonight!" "See you." Y/N continues walking alone. She begins singing quietly to herself. "I wish I had you all alone. Just the two of us. I would hold you close to me. So close to me.."

----------------------------

     Y/N sits at the back of a classroom of High School students. She barely listens to the teacher as she doodles in her notebook in front of her. Y/N lets her gaze move to a window. She stares dreamily outside. From the window she can see the street, and a station wagon parked along the sidewalk.

     Behind the station wagon stands the shape of a man. She can't quite see his features from here, but it is clear that he is looking in the school window. She turns away from the window and begins to doodle again. She draws:

Y/N L/N

She glances up from the book and out the window again. The shape behind the station wagon is still there and staring right at her. She frowns, staring back at the shape.

     "Y/N."

     This springs Y/N around from the window. "Ma'am?" "Answer the question." The teacher commanded. "Constaine wrote that fate was somehow related only to religion, where Samuels felt that fate was like a natural element, like earth, air, fire and water." Y/N recalled. "That's right, Samules definitely personified fate..."

     Y/N sneaks a glance back to the window. The shape and the station wagon are gone. She turns back from the window and back to her notebook. She has written: