Chapter Nine: The Morning After

Start from the beginning

"Steve?" 

No response.

Reaching out with her right hand, she gently places it on Steve's bare back and rubs it up and down in a soothing manner. "Steve?" 

"Mmm."

Jessica glances over at the alarm clock he had on his nightstand, reading the big red numbers. "It's five o'clock." "So?" he grumbles in his sleepy voice. Jessica rolls her eyes. "So I need to get home or else my mom will never let me see you again if she discovers that I'm not in my room this morning."

Steve rolls onto his back and groggily opens his eyes. He gives Jessica a sleepy smile once he realized what she was wearing. "Is that my sweatshirt?" he asks her, his grin growing bigger. Jessica's cheeks redden. "Maybe." Steve chuckles. "It looks good on you." "Well I'm glad because you're never getting it back now." 

Steve grabs Jessica's hand and softly rubs his thumb over her knuckles as he gives her a tisk. "That's a shame because that's one of my favorite sweatshirts...," he trails off as Jessica playfully hits his chest and smiling when she hears his laughter. "I'm kidding Jess...," he tells her sitting up in his bed, still holding onto her hand. "You can keep it. I won't miss it," he tells her truthfully.

It was just a sweatshirt to Steve but now that he saw it on Jessica, it was now hers and he secretly hoped that she would never give it back to him. 

Steve snaps out of his thoughts as he feels Jessica's hand slip out of his. "Come on, lover boy," she teases him, noticing the loving stare he had on her moments ago. "You gotta drive me home before my mom sees that I'm missing." 

"I'll meet you downstairs," he tells her before she leaves his bedroom.

Jessica walks down the stairs and into the living room to see if Nancy was still here but she was met with an empty couch. Furrowing her eyebrows, she heads into the kitchen and spots a note on the counter.

Jess,

Went home. See you in school tomorrow.

-Nancy

Jessica crumbles up the note and throws it into the trashcan. "You ready?" Jessica spins around to see that Steve was now dressed for school. She nods and takes Steve's hand as the two leave his house and head to his car.

++++++

"Steve, I-"

Jessica sighs blissfully as Steve reconnects his lips to hers. The two were currently making out in his car down the block from her house. 

Jessica pulls away making Steve let out a groan. "I have to go," she tells him turning around in her seat and opening the passenger door. She gets out and closes the door before bending down and leaning her arms on the window pane. "Remember the plan?" 

Steve nods. "I'll wait here until it's 6:45 and then I drive up to your house to take you to school." he repeats making Jessica lean her head in and press a swift kiss onto Steve's lips making him happy. 

"I'll see you soon," she tells him before pulling her head back out and starts running down the block, back to her house. Steve watches her go and when she disappears around the corner, he leans his head back against his seat and looks up at the ceiling of his car.

He was completely and utterly in love with Jessica Henderson and didn't know how to tell her.

++++++

Jessica sneaks around her house and stops in front of her bedroom window. She slowly opens her window up, trying not to make any noises as she pushes it up. Once her window was up, she hikes her leg up and climbs into her bedroom, landing gracefully onto her feet. She then closes her window and quickly gets dressed, noticing the time.