Rewrite The Stars

He's been trying to have this talk for so long but there was never enough time, always some appearance to make. Finally Daniel had time to talk to Max. Express his true feelings. Find out where Max stood. How he felt. Maybe he had a chance to rewrite stars.

You know I want you
It's not a secret I try to hide

"Max, I'm not messing with you. I want you. You and only you."
"Not how it seems. You're always on about other people that you fancy."
"No I'm not. I'm talking about you. Everytime it's you. It'll always be you. It's a secret to the world but damn it Max. Not to you. I want us. I want you. You want us too."

I know you want me
So don't keep saying our hands are tied

"You don't know what I want. You don't know who I want. Even if it was, we can't. We just can't."
"Why not? There's nothing that can stop us."
"Plenty stops us. Society stops us. We are shunned. Looked down upon for how we are. How we feel. I can't be responsible for things happening... I put my happiness first instead of... We can't. It's not on the cards yet."

You claim it's not in the cards
Fate is pulling you miles away
And out of reach from me

"So you won't give us a try because of everyone else? Fuck that."
"Fate decided for us. You moved away. You moved to Renault. Away from Red Bull... Away from me." Max turned away and removed tears that stumbled down his face. He couldn't let Daniel see him like that. No way.
"Because it seemed like that's what you wanted Max. I didn't think you wanted me around anymore. I distanced myself, thought of you before myself."
"You were so close... We were..." Daniel gently span Max back around to face him, helping to wipe away those tears that fell.

But you're here in my heart
So who can stop me if I decide
That you're my destiny?

"We still are. In here." Daniel pointed to his heart. "My love for you never left. Never will leave. Nothing can stop us Max." Daniel took a moment to try and stop his own tears from falling. He was trying oh so desperately not to lose Max. He wouldn't be able to cope without the Dutchman in his life. He had become so important to him.
"We clearly aren't meant to be. You should be with someone else. Someone destined to make you happy. I haven't done that. I made you upset like you are now, then enough to leave..."
"You never made me upset enough to leave. Like I said, I thought that it was what you wanted when I made the decision. And screw certain destinies that people want to force us to. Why don't we make our own and live out out destinies, together."

What if we rewrite the stars?
Say you were made to be mine
Nothing could keep us apart
You'd be the one I was meant to find

"How can we? It's so easy to say..."
"We just do it. Nothing can keep us apart. Yeah ok I'm further down the grid but I'm still around. I'll still find you after every session. Every race. We'll stay in the same hotel room. I'll spend every free moment I have with you."
"How are you so sure of this?"
"Because I believe your the one I was meant to find and be happy with in this world."

It's up to you, and it's up to me
No one can say what we get to be
So why don't we rewrite the stars?
Maybe the world could be ours
Tonight

"Max, its up to you. And me too. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It's our lives, we should be able to decide who we want to be happy with." Daniel reached for Max's hand but he pulled away slightly.

You think it's easy
You think I don't want to run to you
But there are mountains
And there are doors that we can't walk through

"What about my Dad? You know what he's like Daniel. You know what he'll do... What he might do to you if... How can I put you at risk like that? Just for my own happiness..."
"I can handle your Dad Max." Max shook his head Daniel stood strong and guided Max's gaze back to him. "Its okay. We can get through it together."
"I don't know if we'd be able to get over that mountain together. And then everything else. Daniel, surely it'll be too much?"
"We'd be okay. People will relate to us more because of our honesty. Staying true to ourselves. Being who we are here, right now and taking it out there... It'd be fine."

I know you're wondering why
Because we're able to be
Just you and me
Within these walls
But when we go outside
You're going to wake up and see that it was hopeless after all

"The world isn't all sunshine and rainbows when it comes to this. So many people are against who we are. How can we be so prepared for everything that would be coming our way?"
"We are strong. We can do it. We do it together, we are unbreakable."
"Its hopeless Daniel. It'll never be that simple."

No one can rewrite the stars
How can you say you'll be mine?
Everything keeps us apart
And I'm not the one you were meant to find
It's not up to you
It's not up to me
When everyone tells us what we can be

"We'll make it that simple."
"We'll barely be with each other Dan. We can try all we like but... Its impossible..."

How can we rewrite the stars?
Say that the world can be ours
Tonight
All I want is to fly with you
All I want is to fall with you
So just give me all of you

"Dan, I want to do it all with you... Get married. Have a family. Grow old and grey with you... I want all the ups and downs with you... It feels impossible..."

It feels impossible
(it's not impossible)

"It's not impossible." Daniel pulled Max close, his hands resting on the back of Max's head. "We make the impossible possible everyday. Every minute. Every second. Not trying makes it impossible."

Is it impossible?
Say that it's possible

"You really think we can do this? And make it work?"
"I do. I'd bet my life on it."

How do we rewrite the stars?
Say you were made to be mine?
Nothing can keep us apart
'Cause you are the one I was meant to find

"Careful saying that. I might have to hold you to that." A smile spread across Max's lips as Daniel froze with his mouth wide open. Did Max really just say what he thought he did. He wasn't just hearing what he wanted to hear. We wasn't imagining it was he?
"Does that mean?"
"That I think that you meant to be mine? Yeah. We should give us a chance. I think, you haven't given up on me... On us... It proves you are the one I was meant to be with."

Happy tears fell down both drivers faces. Surely this was just a dream. Both men pinched themselves. No. This was real. This was going to happen. They were going to be happy.

It's up to you
And it's up to me
No one can say what we get to be
And why don't we rewrite the stars?
Changing the world to be ours

"Are you sure? I don't want to force you to make the decision. If you do need more time... I know I probably seemed pushy but... I can't bear the thought of losing you."
"Its up to you and me. You want this, correct?"
"More than anything in the world."
"I want this too. I want us." Max took a deep breath. "Screw the world. Its our happiness, not theirs. I'm happy with you."
"Then here's to the rest of our lives together." Both men immediately demolished the space between their lips and sealed their new found love with a deep kiss. Neither willing to let go of the other anytime soon.

Maybe it was time that a pair in the Formula One paddock rewrote the stars, just fitting it would be Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo who would do such a thing.

Here's to happiness. Your happiness. Rewrite the stars, do what makes you happy.