Explaining the 'Mate Bond'

The 'mate bond' is triggered on a werewolf's sixteenth birthday and they find their mate through a sudden intense attraction or interest in the person who is their fated one. It is confirmed through physical contact.

If a werewolf's mate is human, the bond will take longer to trigger because of variables such as the human's age or mental and emotional state. The attraction or interest would be stronger felt by the werewolf mate rather than the human mate, in which, said attraction and interest will only be triggered to higher extents once physical contact has been made.

Werewolves are legally allowed to mate at the age of eighteen. Werewolf law states that an individual at such age would then possess the right and understanding of implications to make a proper decision concerning mating. Eighteen is also the legal age for mating so that werewolf laws comply to human laws given the potential and rare occurrence of human mates.

Werewolves are only allowed to mate before the legal age if the need arises, but they must first be given permission by the pack's alpha and/or parents (in the case of human mates). This is so that the alpha and/or parents can decide whether the occasion is drastic enough to call for a mating before the legal age.

The perks that come with the mating bond include quicker healing, sharper tracking, and heightened awareness.

Quicker Healing: If one partner is injured, or fatally wounded, their mate's healing enzymes speed up the recovery process. It adds fuel to the injured partner's own healing enzymes.

Sharper Tracking: When a werewolf finds his/her mate, their scents are ingrained into the wolf's memories and senses. If they were separated and in danger, they would be able to track each other through scent. The deeper their intimacy, the sharper their tracking skills become in finding one another.

Heightened Awareness: They would develop this toward each other and is a helpful perk of the bond. It allows mates to pick up on the other's feelings and lets them know what their mate is up when they are separated. In other words, they can't cheat with others because the other partner would know. No matter the physical distance between mates, they can always pick up on their mate's moods and feelings, and the deeper the intimacy between mates, the stronger this awareness is.

There are two bites. The Engagement Mark and the Mating Mark.

Engagement Mark: If mates decide they are not ready to complete the mating ritual, an engagement bite would suffice marking their claim and stating a promise to mate and marry in the future. The engagement bite can also work as a method of injecting one's healing enzymes into the other's blood stream in the case of fatal wounds.

Most wolves bypass the engagement mark because of the responsibility that comes with placing a temporary mark on each other. And that is heat.

If it's a werewolf couple, the engaged wolves would undergo an intense heat once every month which can only then be sated in some way or another by each other.

Don't break the bed!

If it is not a werewolf couple, and the mark was placed on a human mate, the human would have a maximum of five days before they undergo the first of many frequent heats.

They're sure to be frequently locked in the bedroom for days!

Mating Mark: When mates decide to complete the ritual, via having sex, woof, the mating bite is placed on each other at the height of their pleasure cementing the permanence of their commitment to one another. Once the mating is completed, all the perks of the bond become permanent and deeper. Grr!