Chapter Twelve | Suzie, Do You Copy?

Start from the beginning

"So, it's a... a ham radio," Will awkwardly said.

"The Cadillac of ham radios," Dustin corrected, grinning. "This baby carries a crystal-clear connection over vast distances. I'm talking North Pole to South. I can talk to my girlfriend whenever and wherever I chose."

My mouth falls apart at the mention of girlfriend. "Girlfriend?" We all speak together. He then packed up 'Cerebro' and walked out the room, all of us followed.

"Wait, so, what's her name?" I asked, really curious to know who his girlfriend is.

"Suzie," Dustin replied.

"Wait, so her name is Suzie?" Mike questioned, following behind me.

"Suzie, with a 'z'. She's from Utah." Dustin informed us.

"Girls go to science camp?" Will question. I slapped his arm lightly.

"Girls can go to science camp," I tell him, he stares at me for a bit, mouth opening and closing as we walked. He was going to say something, but Dustin cuts him off.

"Suzie does." Dustin grins. "She's a genuis."

"Is she cute?" Mike questioned. he was holding some equipment for Dustin. We were going on an adventure, up to the highest mountain near us so we can contact Suzie.

Half of me believes him, the other half isn't. Maybe he's making all of this up so he can feel like he can fit in with his friends, who has girlfriends. Other than Will. I don't have a boyfriend, either.

"Think Phoebe Cates, only hotter," Dustin speaks. Oh, wow. Phoebe Cates is classed as one of the hottest actresses' at the moment. 

We entered the kitchen, where Max and Lucas still were. "What's going on?" Max questioned.

"Going to talk to Dustin's girlfriend." I met eyes with my sister, her eyes widen in surprise.

"Girlfriend?" The two exclaimed together as we exit the door. They came rushing after us, leaving Dustin's house.

-

"Aren't we high enough?" Lucas complained as we climbed the steep hill in front of us.

"Cerebro works best at a hundred meters," Dustin explained.

"You know, I'm pretty sure people in Utah have telephones." My twin sister pointed out.

"Yeah, but Suzie's Mormon," Dustin informs us.

"Oh, shit, she doesn't have electricity?" Lucas's eyes widen.

"Oh, that's the Amish." Max bickered back.

"What are Mormon's?" Will questioned beside me. El and Mike were behind us, whispering and giggling.

"Super religious white people," Dustin explained to us. Oh. "They have electricity and cars and stuff, but... since I'm not Mormon, her parents would never approve. It's all a bit... Shakespearean."

"Shakespearean?" Max repeated.

"Yeah, like Romeo and Juliet," Dustin continued.

"Right," Max replied sarcastically.

"Star-crossed lovers,"

"I got it." Max stopped Dustin from listing a whole bunch of other examples.

"Hey, guys!" I hear Mike call after us. We all stopped and turned around, Mike and El were a few meters behind us, holding hands. "This is fun and all, but, uh..."

Mike tapped the time. "I have to go home," El speaks up.

"We're almost there," Dustin pointed to the top of the hill. Which was true, we are like, 2 minutes from reaching the top.