“We’ll be there,” she says smoothly.

He grins, showing off his overly bright straight teeth, “Cool. See ya there, ladies.” His black hair looks beautiful, messed up on his head in a boyish way. The flannel shirt he’s wearing makes him look casual and does nothing but make him—actually, he just looks really hot.

The moment he is out of sight, I let out a small squeal.

“He wants us there! Oh my gosh,” I gush, trying to contain my excitement but obviously failing miserably.

The haunted house he spoke of scared me a little; no one ever really dares to go in there. Old myths revolve around it, like that it was haunted by the ghost of Marie Kell, who got killed in there by a ‘witch’.

Ariel winks, “You got to look good next weekend then, Lay.”

“Of course, if I want to impress Blue.”

My best friend’s eyes widen, “Code PHH,” she warns. Possibly Horrible Humans; it is Ariel and I’s nickname for the girls we detest the most at school.

Marnie, Jill and Kylie; also known as the mean girls of George Quentin high. Marnie and Jill used to complete our “quartet of friends” throughout freshman year. Then, they backstabbed both Ariel and I by telling our secrets in the school intercom to gain popularity. They succeeded.

“Hello,” greets Marnie, “Looking awful as always.”

Her beauty is undeniable. Natural blonde curls make her face look softer. Her eyes, a simple hazel, can kill when she’s mad. Her outfit renders me annoyed at her classy fashion sense.

“Likewise,” replies Ariel her blue eyes shooting daggers. “Who took the trash out? ‘Cause it’s polluting my visual system.”

Jill steps forward, “Alexandra, I wouldn’t start this. Honey, your hair makes you look like a failure of a human being.”

“I was trying to imitate you,” smirks Ari.

Her hand appears behind her back and I high five her discreetly. Handling these girls is a piece of cake.

“Huh. You’ve gotten even stupider throughout the years,” comments Marnie. “A waste of time and space, really.”

This hits Ariel’s soft spot. Her mom had her at sixteen and was tempted to give her up for adoption when she was a baby. Whenever they fought, Ari’s mom always brought up the fact that she ruined her life and future.

Anger flared in my body, “Marnie, I wouldn’t talk if I were you. Being someone who pushes people down and bitches around isn’t exactly something to be proud of.”

“Don’t care. Goodbye,” she says, walking away.

I squeeze Ari’s shoulder, “You okay?”

“I’m fine. I was this close,” she gestures with her hand to a small piece, “To punching her in the face.”

Patting Ariel’s head, I hear the school bell ring. “We have English, right?” I say, searching for my English book.

“You have English. I have gym. Volleyball,” Ariel says, rolling her eyes. "See ya." she leaves. I laugh at her frustration. I personally don't know what's wrong with her and volleyball, but let's just say that the ball has taken her out numerous times.

I gather my stuff and stand up to close my locker. A figure appears next to me, bringing a tender smile to my face. Aiden’s cheeks are tainted with a natural light pink, which adds to his handsomeness.

“Hey,” he says. “We have English class together.”

“I know,” I answer, starting to walk with him through the mess of people in the halls. The class right after lunch means rush hour.