Chap 6 "Next Steps"

Mulai dari awal

"Steve, we got a body," Adam stated. "We need you on scene."

"Send me the location," I sighed and hung up. "JJ."

"We got a case?" JJ raised a brow and looked at me.

"Yeah, sorry," I replied.

"That's fine," JJ responded. "Uhm, we gotta go but I promise to come in and check on all of you when I can. Also, stay tuned to information for a Christmas party." JJ and I left and got into the car. "We are never gonna be able to celebrate are we?"

"It seems that way," I nodded. "Look, when we get to the crime scene, I'm gonna stay on the case. You go pick up Faith from Kamekona's and take her to my place, okay?"

"You want me to babysit?" JJ asked.

"You're the only one I trust right now," I replied. We got out of the car at the scene. "Please? Our hearing is in a couple days and I need someone to watch her."

"Yeah, I understand," JJ sighed. I gave her a kiss. "I'll see you at home?"

"Yeah," I smiled. JJ drove off. I walked down to the team. "Who is it?"

"No ID yet," Adam replied. He pulled the sheet down a bit. "Noelani puts COD about five hours ago."

"Adam, that's Kate Plonell," I sighed.

"You know her?" Adam asked.

"Yeah, she's the foster mom of a girl that JJ's on her way to pick up at Kamekona's right now," I nodded. "She's supposed to be taking us to court in a couple days to fight for custody over her foster daughter."

"Let's go talk to Kamekona," Adam replied. We walked to Kamekona's Shrimp Truck as he was closing. "Kamekona."

"Hey, brutha," Kamekona stated. "What can I do for you guys? Truck's closed for business."

"JJ came and picked up Faith, right?" I asked.

"Yeah, about fifteen minutes ago," Kamekona replied. "Girl's good. Did me some free labor when I fired my delivery boy."

"Did she do a delivery today?" I asked.

"Yeah, but it was about five and a half hours ago," Kamekona replied. "Why do you asked?"

"Because her foster mom is dead," I replied. "Her body just washed up on shore and Noelani put TOD at about five hours ago."

"Nah, brutha," Kamekona nodded. "Faith isn't capable of something like that."

"We're not saying that she did it," Adam sighed. His phone beeped and he looked at it. "Noelani is gonna start the autopsy as soon as she gets back to the lab."

"Put a rush on it," I replied. We walked back to the team. I drove Danny and I back to the Palace and I did a bit more research on our victim and Faith. "Hey, Tani."

"Yeah," Tani stated as she looked at me.

"What's your theory on all of this?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" Tani asked. "We don't even have a suspect yet."

"Even if we don't have a suspect," I replied.

"I would say the kid did it," Tani shrugged. "Usually it's the family."

"Yeah," I nodded. A couple hours later, I was just looking at the screen. "It doesn't add up."

"Steve, Noelani got the cause of death," Grover walked in. "The cause was asphyxiation. She found some DNA on the victim's body. She ran it and she got a hit." He looked at me. "You're not gonna like who it belongs to."