Ch. 13 Curses and Dragons

Start from the beginning

"This is an Unforgivable Curse you want to put on us! That's illegal," Hermione exclaimed.

"Well if you would prefer your first time under the curse be at the hands of a Death Eater, be my guest."

"That's not what I meant," Hermione muttered, but said nothing else.

One by one, the Slytherin students were placed under the Imperius curse. Each time, Hermione witnessed her fellow classmates do the most ridiculous tasks, though she could see the strain on their faces as they tried to resist it, meaning Moody's curse, though effective in control over action, fell short in every other department. When Moody turned to Hermione, she felt a soothing sensation wash over her. She felt calm and at peace and almost...submissive. At this thought, she turned to Moody and glared. She was submissive to no one.

Punch Blaise.

No, she thought. Why would I want to punch my brother?

Punch him. The sudden urge to punch her brother arose and Hermione felt her hand clench tightly.

No, she thought. I don't want to punch my brother.

NOW!

Before she could think, her arm flung up and snapped towards Blaise at immense speeds. He flung his arms up defensively, and Hermione felt his defensive magic wash over her and she was stopped before she could make contact.

Moody grunted. "You're good with offensive magic, Miss Zabini, but you have very poor barriers around your mind. Regardless, you almost managed to resist the curse. Well done."

He then turned to Blaise and pointed his wand at him, casting the curse. Hermione watched her brother, but he did nothing but stare blankly back at Moody. The professor growled lowly and intensified the curse. Hermione sucked in a sharp breath when Blaise didn't so much as flinch.

Finally, Moody broke the curse with a laugh. "Well done, boy. You have incredibly strong mental barriers. You'd do well to aid your sister."

Blaise fixed the Professor with a deadly stare. "If you so much as touch a hair on her head again, I will kill you." With that, he turned and walked out of the classroom. The bell then rang, and the rest of the Slytherin students followed him quickly.

~*~

The first task began one brisk morning shortly after their Defense lesson on curses. Heavily disinterested, Hermione watched sullenly, wishing she were playing Quidditch instead. Blaise rolled his eyes at her sulking and nudged her.

"The champions have to battle dragons," he told her.

She shot up, suddenly paying much more attention. "Are they now? Oh poor Potter must be stricken in fear!" She laughed, and those in the crowd of Slytherin students that heard joined her in her laughter.

Draco Malfoy arrived shortly after, sitting down quickly next to Hermione. "Bets on how long Potty lasts?"

"You're on," Theo said. "I say ten minutes."

"I say five," Draco replied. "Ten galleons?" Theo nodded and shook Draco's outstretched hand.

"I say if neither of you get it right, you both owe me ten galleons," Hermione called out.

The boys laughed but shook her hand anyway.

And so she watched as each of the champions battled their dragons, each managing to steal the golden egg that was their task until Potter was announced.

The whistle that announced he could begin sounded and Hermione cast a charm to time how long he would last, summoning a transparent stopwatch in the air that immediately began counting seconds.

Potter dashed behind a rock before the dragon could find him and brought out his wand.

"Oh please," Draco said, "he's not nearly good enough at magic for that."

But apparently he was. He had cast a charm that none in the stands could hear and waited. At first, the Slytherin thought Draco had been right, as nothing was happening. Then, a few minutes later, they all saw Potter's brook zooming towards him. He'd cast a Summoning charm impressive enough to summon his broom all the way from the castle.

He zoomed around the dragon, obviously attempting to get the giant creature to lift off the ground by diving towards it barely high enough that it couldn't reach him. Another few minutes later, it lifted off with enough power to break the chain that tethered it to the ground. Potter's eyes widened, and he was quick to fly away. He zoomed around the arena with the dragon close on his tail. This went on for a few more minutes before he saw his opening.

Hermione watched him adjust his flight course abruptly, flying down suddenly and grabbing the golden egg from the nest. The task had concluded.

Hermione glanced at the stopwatch, which read 23 minutes and 17 seconds. She smirked and the pair of boys groaned before forking over the gold.

The judges then scored the four champions and, to the absolute sheer and utter shock of the Slytherin crowd, Potter scored the highest alongside Krum and was now tied in first place.

Hermione pursed her lips in contemplation. Maybe the idiot boy stood a better chance than she first thought.