Chapter 6: He'll Come Back

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong with wanting to be with your sister? We're engaged aren't we? Or did you forbid that too?" Caspian said spilling more sarcasm into his tone than he probably should've. His arms still held Susan's, his fingers wrapped over her elbows. They had been clutching them out of passion as they had shared their short lived kiss.

Peter was getting riled up. "I will if-" He was interrupted by Susan again.

"I'm not doing this anymore! I'm not going to stand here listening to you two carry on like this, I'm not going to live with the fact that my fiancé is afraid to come to see me, and I'm not going to sneak around trying to hide our relationship!" She exclaimed. "What I am going to do is sit down and work this out." She said, settling the matter of talking to one another. She left the garden to head to the library where she intended to have a civilized discussion with Peter and Caspian.

Soon Peter, Susan, and Caspian were seated around a small table in the library. They sat in silence for the first moments, each calming themselves so that they may get somewhere without arguing.

"Peter why? Why don't you want us to get married?" Susan asked first.

Peter sighed - as if he didn't want to share the true answer - then stood and walked to the window, shoving his hands in his pockets. He stared for a long time at the wooded scenery that hid behind the castle. Finally, after sighing again, he began his explanation. "I remember the day you were born, Su. Most people can't remember that far back, but I do. I don't remember much of what I was thinking or feeling, but I remember watching you sleep in mum's arms. It was like something changed in me at that moment. I was an older brother now, I had a load of responsibility placed on me that I would carry for the rest of my life."

Peter turned from the window to face the table where Susan and Caspian sat. He didn't look up, but followed the floorboards with his eyes instead. "We had a lot of great times together." He chuckled in memory of their early childhood. "I remember once we were at the park playing. We pretended that the play set was our castle. I was the mighty knight who has to defend the castle, and you were the princess who lived in it."

"How ironic." Caspian commented with a laugh. To Susan's pleasure Peter laughed too, then continued with the story.

"Then this one boy, whose mum had brought him to play in the park as well, asked if he could join us. You were nicer than I was Su, so you agreed to let him play. You explained what we were doing and he said 'I can be your prince that rescues you from the fire-breathing dragon then marries you!' Oh I was mad! I marched right up to the boy and slapped him across the face!" Peter chuckled.

Susan gasped in laughter. "Did you really? I don't remember that!"

"Oh yes I did!" He snickered. "I didn't want my sister trading me in for some other boy!" Peter became suddenly serious. "I guess that hasn't changed." He finally looked up, his eyes immediately meeting Susan's. "I don't want to let her go." His voice was on the verge of cracking and his eyes clouded over.

"Oh Peter!" Susan cried standing up and wrapping her arms tightly around his neck.

"I guess after all these years of living as the father figure have made me like a father in that I don't want to let you go away to some other man." Peter reasoned. "I don't know that I said it enough, but I love you Su." He said. The lump in his throat threatened to break him down.

"No, you didn't say it that often," She let go and lowered back off her tip toes. "but you've shown it." She sniffed.

"I'm sorry." Peter said to both of them. "I suppose I was being ridiculous. Everything was happening too quickly I didn't know what to do - it was spinning me out of control. I've acted wrongly towards both of you and I hope you can forgive me." Susan wrapped him in another hug, assuring her forgiveness.