Discovery

Ever since John's parents died in an incident at work, he has been living in their mansion with his aunt for months. The mansion had over 30000 square feet of space inside and was like a maze. It had seven bedrooms, ten bathrooms, three kitchens and other luxury amenities such as an indoor pool and home theatre. The mansion was worth over ten million dollars and was the largest house in the country. John never knew what his parents did for work, but it earned them a lot of money.
The storm raged outside and John and his friends were playing a racing game on the projector. John aunt was out with her friends on a girls night so he had the whole house to himself.
"John are you sure we are okay with this storm outside," asked Madison.
"Positive. This is the safest house in the world and even has a lockdown system if something bad happens. We're fine," replied John.
Madison shook her fear and kept playing the game. The three of them were distracted from what was going on outside. The storm became more violent and the rain came down in sheets. If anyone stepped outside, the only thing they would hear would be the sheets of water hitting the sides of the house.
Lightning struck outside and they looked out the window to see a quick flash. The creature looked at the mansion through the shrubs. It growled and creeped toward the bright lights of the house. It was amazed with the colors that it had only seen in the lab. It noticed three people moving inside and it was filled with rage. It hated what humans had done to it and it only saw them as enemies. Lightning struck a nearby power line shutting all power off in the neighborhood. John's game shut off and the house went dark. This has never happened ever since the house was built ten years ago.
"No one panic, the power should come back on its own in a few minutes," John assures his friends.
Another lightning bolt stuck the wood telephone pole causing it to fall down to the ground. It slide down the hill that it's base was on and it hit the backup generator to the mansion.
30 minutes passed and John was confused due to the power not coming back on. The house had a massive generator outside and it kicks on a few minutes after the power goes out. As a precaution, the house locked all doors the keep the humans safe inside and would unlock once the power came back.
"The doors are locked so I guess we are spending the night here," John told the others.
"When will the power be back?" Jake asked.
"Don't know."
John and his friend got ready for bed at eleven and stayed in separate rooms through the night. Each person stayed on separate floors because they preferred the bigger rooms. Each friend also had a walker talkie because they had no cell service or WiFi in the house. Madison was on the first floor because she was afraid lightning would strike the roof and she didn't want to worry about that. She went into her room and closed the door but didn't latch it in case of an emergency. She dozed off to the rain hitting her window.
The monster was at the back sliding glass window and reached its claw up, broke the lock, and opened the door. It's mud covered feet hit the floor with a thud and left footprints and it walked in. The moon light through the clouds illuminated its scale-like skin. The blood from its teeth landed on the hardwood floor and smeared as the creature walked over it. It was looking for food and it knew three life forms were in the house. It smelled one on the same floor as it. It's large ears listened for any small sounds from the human. Madison cleared her throat and the creature's ear turned in her direction. The monstrosities feet silently glided towards Madison's sleeping quarters and slowly nudged the door open. Madison was a light sleeper and heard the door creak open. Her head tilted up to see the monster's claw enter the room. She froze and watched as it sniffed the room looking for something. She alter her head down trying to hid from it. The creature walked to the side of the bed and sniffed around but then suddenly turned around and walked quickly out of the room. Madison got out of bed with no noise and shut the door and locked it. She walked in fear over to her walker talkie and whispered into it.
"Guys, something is in the house."
John heard this and couldn't believe her. How could something her into the house when the locks are active? Jake awoke to the alert as well and knew Madison was talking about something, not someone. Jake got up and looked out his bedroom door to see the creature walking up the stairs with blood dripping from its mouth. He silently shut the door.
Jake asked,"what are we going to do?"
John answered,"get it out."
"How can we do that? We don't even know what this thing is."
"It's an animal, animals are dumb."
John didn't even know how they were going to do this. He heard a growl downstairs and knew something about the creature want natural. Nothing in nature could break a lock or could be smart enough to open a door. Soon he heard the creature run up the second flight of stairs to John's floor. He stopped talking in the walker talkie and creeped to his door and locked it . The creature heard this and ran to his door. It breathed loudly as it stuck its nose toward the bottom of the door. John couldn't breath. He was an expert in animals and it sounded like nothing he heard before. The animal walked away and John was unsteady. He feel onto his bed in fear and he looked at his wall. This thing didn't belong in his house and it needed to get out. The creature roared downstairs and John opened his door and stepped out. It was on the second floor. He was safe for now. John walked to the stairs and looked down to see large scratches on the stairs. He saw three main claw marks and two secondary claw marks behind them. He didn't recognize these and began to walk down the stairs. He stepped onto the second floor and approached Jake's room he called Jake to tell him he was at his door and it went through only to alert the monster. It peered around the corner to see nothing and went back to scoping out the house. John feel to the floor in Jakes room, not believing what he saw around the corner. He looked at Jake in disbelief as the monster creeped past the door growling.