Being King isn't all it's cracked up to be

Começar do início

"They don't want to be found, Zeus." She told him as she placed herself at her vanity, lighting up a cigarette and crossing her legs over one another. "They're done with the lives of Gods and Men.  They're done with the lives that you have set out for them. They're done with you. I can't help you find them. I won't betray them like that." 

"I don't need you to find them," Zeus said cockily. "I only need you to find one." 

"And why do you think I'd offer you of all people even an ounce of my help?" 

"I'm not going to play on your good nature or on our past," He teased. "I can help you in return." 

She tried not to look overly keen but Zeus could see he had her attention. 

It was relieving to know that some things never changed. 

"I know that you have found love," Zeus commented and her cheeks were awash with colour as she sucked harder on her cigarette. "With a mortal no less." She opened her mouth to argue but Zeus held up a hand to silence her and was glad she refrained from continuing her argument. "I am not judging you Hera. I am here to offer you a once in a lifetime opportunity." 

"If this is some set up for you asking me to come back-" 

"In fact, my dear," He spoke, perching himself on the edge of the vanity table. "It is the opposite." She blinked as he folded his hands together. "Immortality isn't for everyone. Presiding over the things we need to preside over, isn't for everyone. What do you even use your gifts for these days? Do you even use them at all?" He registered the look on her face. "I didn't think so. What if I told you that I had discovered a power within myself that makes it possible for me to relinquish you of your immortality?" She went to speak immediately but he held up a palm to silence her. "There is one small catch. No immortality, no gifts-" 

"Deal." She almost bit his hand off. Zeus raised an eyebrow, leaning forward slightly. 

"Somehow I hadn't expected you to be so compliant." She pushed herself to her feet so that she standing directly before him, her shoulders cast back and her face determined. 

"I have spent thousands of years on my own, Zeus. Even in the Golden days, I always felt alone." She sighed. "I can't spend another thousand on my own, I don't want to spend another hundred on my own. Gifts or no Gifts, it means nothing to me. I've had my fill. If it means in a few decades I have to die, then so be it. I will welcome Death like an old friend. Now, how are we doing this?" 

"First things first," Zeus purred, standing up so that he was towering over her. "I need you to use your Gift one last time to locate him for me." Hera rested her hand on her hip and popped it in an exaggerated fashion. 

"Give me half a clue, Zeus." She nagged. "Who do you want me to find? Hades? Poseidon?" 

"Hermes," Zeus corrected her. "I want you to find Hermes." 

"Well, I have little to no qualms betraying that little twerp." 

There was no love lost between Hera and Hermes. Hermes was always an ally for Zeus to call upon in times of need in exchange for Zeus turning a blind eye upon Hermes' various tricks. Hera had picked up a brush from her vanity and was running it through her long hair, eyes closed and mind focused.