Father ⚜ Chapter Nineteen

Start from the beginning

        We both chuckled slightly. "If I'm such a disgrace to the family, why must he be so possessive of me?" I sighed. 

        We just stood there, Ron continuing to comfort me by holding me to his chest. I closed my eyes and listened to the steady beat of his heart. Being in his arms was the only thing that made me feel like we were safe. 

        It had been a long night and I was very much emotionally exhausted. After spending the remainder of the ball cuddled up with Ron, he walked me to the end of the hall. We said our goodbyes and he kissed me goodnight. We went our separate ways and I headed to the Slytherin common room. 

        I had gotten ready for bed in my dorm when I heard giggles and laughter emerging from the common room. Everyone seemed to be over the moon after the dance. I quickly got into bed and pulled the blanket over me, my back facing the door.

        The door swung open and the giggling became more apparent as my dormmates waddled in. All of a sudden the giggles died down and I heard a few shushes from the girls. I assumed they had noticed me then and didn't want to disturb me as I looked like I was sleeping. A part of me wondered if they had witnessed the scene Draco caused though. Did everyone know? If not, how fast can gossip like that travel here at Hogwarts? 

        "I feel bad for her." one girl whispered to another. 

        "I don't." scoffed the other. "A family as powerful as the Malfoys... and she fancies a Weasley? You've got to be kidding me." 

        Hearing that made my blood boil like mad. I bit my lip as to not say anything and shut my eyes tight. 

        Eventually the girls went to sleep, but I was still wide awake. My mind wouldn't stop racing. I was convinced the only time my mind could be at ease was whenever I was with him. 

        My racing thoughts were then interrupted by a soft knocking at the door. I sat up and stared at the door for a moment, quite confused. After some silence, the soft knocking repeated itself. I took it upon myself to get up and answer, since the rest of the girls were still deep in their slumber. 

        I slowly opened the door as the dim light from the common room crept inside. "Darling?..." I heard a gentle voice. I looked at the dark figure through the crack of the door. My eyes finally adjusting, I recognized my mother's face. 

        "Mother?" I whispered, still just as confused. 

        "Come down here, my love." she gestured for me to come out and down the stairs. 

        I slowly made my way out of the dorm room, shutting the door behind me. My mother walked down the stairs and I followed, nervously awaiting what was in store for me. In the center of the common room stood my father. Fear struck me instantly as I saw his face, my palms beginning to perspire. I hesitated at the bottom of the stairs, but eventually walked close enough to face him. 

        "Father..." was the only thing I could say. 

        "Enjoy the dance, did we?" he asked, his face as stern as it always was. 

        I couldn't respond. My eyes caught my mother as she walked to stand behind my father, as if to back him up.

        "Draco has brought it to our attention that your date to the ball turned out to be none other than Ronald Weasley. Tell me it isn't so."