Chapter 1

"Go Rick! Run! Go! Go!" I yell, pumping my fist into the air.

People all around stand and applaud, giving shouts of encouragement as the running back of the football team darts through the defense like a pingpong ball, somehow managing to break through every attempt of a tackle. A tall, broad shouldered defensive player grabs Rick by the collar of his shoulder pads and shoves hard.

"No!" I holler.

Fans gasp and yell in anguish as they watch the scene before their eyes. Rick starts to stumble forward, but just when his knee was an inch from the ground, he sprang and twisted himself up and sprinted 20-30-40 yards and then "TOUCHDOOOWWN BULLDOGS!"

The fans go nuts. The varsity cheerleaders spirit and holler, and the super fan section stomps, claps, and chants. My heart rings in my ears as a smile of pure ecstasy glows off of my face.

Ever since my older brother, Kendall, started playing about seven years ago, I have always loved football. It was one of few sports that I actually enjoyed, and the only game I truly loved. Perhaps it was the fact that my brother did so well at it, or maybe it was the sport itself. Nonetheless, the game made my adrenaline pump and I was happy.

"He's so awesome!" My junior varsity cheerleading coach, Brittney, whom I've become fairly close to says as we sit isolated from the rest of the team, watching the game and varsity cheerleaders.

"He sure is." I say. My heart throbs.

"He and Kendall are best friends, right?"

"Yeah... They are." I say, a hint of resentment in my voice.

"What? Are you and Caleb not getting along?" She says.

"No, we are. It's just- I don't know. It's hard to be known as anything other than "Kendall's Little Sister" to him."

"'What do you mean? Wait... Do you like him or something?" Brittney asks.

"I have a boyfriend." I say. I feel my heart sink as the words fall from my mouth.

"But do you like Rick?" Brit asks again.

The buzzer suddenly goes off, signaling halftime and saving my life.

"I'm gonna go talk to my parents. Bye!" I say, waving to Brittney as she roles her eyes.

"You can't hide forever!" She calls, and unfortunately, she's right.