Ch 1: Maregi Zyaada Mujhe Maut Se Naraazgi Teri

"Baat aapki hai isliye farak padta hai. Agar aap hi aise chale jayenge toh hum saas nahi—"

[Because it is about you, it affects me. If you walk away from me like this, I won't be able to breathe—]

Khushi's words rang in his head and Arnav could not go on. What did she mean when she said that he affected her? If he was that important to her, then perhaps he had misjudged the situation with Shyam. It was time for answers.

Arnav turned back. But just as he was about to leave the airport, he saw them. Khushi and Shyam, standing so close together that no one could hear what they were saying.

"I should have known. Neither of them can be trusted. I cannot leave Di in this state, especially when I don't know what they are planning. Har baar mein uspe bharosa karna chahta hoon aur woh—" [every time I want to trust her, and she—] His hands closed into fists, nails digging into his palms. He focused on that pain to distract himself from the one in his heart.

-----

The Raizadas and Guptas had gathered in the temple for a puja in honor of Anjali and Arnav's mother's birthday. Anjali was sad that this time, too, she hadn't been able to convince her brother to spend the day with her, to share his pain.

Suddenly, Khushi sensed a change in the air.

"Arnavji?" she whispered. Hearing her, Anjali turned around and gasped in shock.

"Chote?"

"Bhai? Aap London nahi gaye?" [Bhai, you didn't go to London?] Akash asked his brother as he walked towards the group.

"Conference cancel ho gayi." [Conference got cancelled] Arnav answered casually.

Anjali was overjoyed.

"Conference cancel ho gayi ya Khushiji aapko kheech layi? Hum jaante hai ki woh tumse milne airport gayi thi," [Did the conference get cancelled or did Khushi pull you back? I know she went to the airport to meet you] she teased.

"Khushi bitiya ka aap pe kitna asar hua hai," [She has affected/changed you so much] Nani couldn't resist adding.

"You have no idea," Arnav mumbled under his breath, glaring at Khushi and Shyam.

-----

After the puja, Arnav watched Shyam give out the prasad. He saw Khushi flinch as he approached her. This puzzled Arnav as he realized that this was not the first time he had seen her act uncomfortable around him. "It's probably because everyone else is here," he justified to himself.

But this time, something was different. The rest of the Gupta family shifted uncomfortably at Shyam's proximity to Khushi. Arnav noticed them collectively step closer to her, as if standing in support. Khushi was about to turn away from Shyam, when Nani stopped her.

"Kya kar rahi ho, bitiya? Prasad toh leh lo." [What are you doing? At least take the prasad] Nani took a ladoo from the plate Shyam was holding and gave it to Khushi.

"Achcha, chaliye, satsang ke liye der na ho jaye," [Okay, let's go, we are getting late for the satsang (religious gathering)] Nani added, ushering everyone towards the cars.

"Aap sab chaliye, Naniji, hum bas do minute mein aate hai," [All of you go ahead, Naniji, I'll come in two minutes] Khushi replied.

-----

Arnav had been on a phone call and was concerned when he didn't see Di with the others in the car.

"Di kahan hai?" [where's Di?] he asked.