Chapter One

I open my eyes, panicking that I'm in an unfamiliar place. I close my eyes, trying to get myself out of what I thought was a dream. Where am I? I know that I fell asleep in my bed at home but I'm not in my room anymore. I noticed I was on my stomach as I came out of my shock and confusion, then sitting up. Looking down at my hands, moving all of the limbs; making sure I hadn't lost one. I force my eyes away from my hands, looking at my surroundings. Trees are everywhere and I assume I'm in a forest, I cue into all of my senses. My ears pick up the sounds of many birds chirping. The grass below me is moist and mossy when I softly touch the ground. It feels like a damp cloth that has been rung out. The smell of moist dirt fills my nose as I begin to smell the air. I slightly open my mouth and take in the clean tasting air. Everything seemed peaceful, but I could feel as if something about this place was off like it isn't real. Yet at the same time, it felt as if it was. It felt like a dream that will one day become true.

     I lift myself off the ground, I might as well try to find a town or something. 'What if there is nothing but forest and I can't find civilization anywhere?'

As soon as I thought of that, I pushed it away just as fast. I didn't need to be thinking like that but still apart of me knew it was possible for there to be nothing. When I continued walking, I heard a crack and knew it wasn't me. I got ready to run from whatever was there.

      "Wait, don't run, I'm here to help you." I look towards the calm voice, it was a male, but I couldn't see anything. Then I see a large person emerge out of the thick trees.

His hair is jet black, it was long, and it hung down to just above his shoulders. He wore dark colours, I'm not sure how I skipped over his black pants. A black stained wooden bow was in one of his hands. That's when I noticed that I was wearing a dark purple robe that it was almost black. I also noticed the large stick like thing on my back, which was black stained, I wasn't sure what it was.

"Don't be alarmed, this place isn't so bad. It only means that you've been picked." He looks at me, showing no signs that this was a joke.

         "Picked for what?" I ask. This cannot be real.

    "I don't know exactly, I'm only a guardian and we just help newcomers like yourself."

    "What is a Guardian?" I ask yet another question.

    He looks at me seriously. "I protect you, as well as teach you all that you should know."

    "Then what is with the stick on my back?"

    "That is a staff, you were chosen to be a healer or one of the royals"
    I start to feel as if I was annoying my 'Guardian' because I've only asked him questions so far.

    "I'm Blaine." I introduce myself.
    "Praxton." he nods at me.
    "I'm sorry about all of these questions, I'm just confused... I just want to know where I am."

"You're new and it's normal to have questions, this is Somnium," he explains to me. "People can only come here while they sleep. The thing is though if you leave, and tell anyone about this place you will be brought back and punished"

    "Why? What'll happen?"
    "You may never be able to come back again and if you can, there will be repercussions."
he seems to almost be glaring at me.

"What is the punishment?"
    "I get to decide that," he smirks at me.
    I turn away from him and pull my 'staff' off of my back, it's a bit heavy but not so heavy so I can't hold it. He looks at me and does an odd half smile.
    "Can I tell you more about this place before you hit me with your staff and call me insane?" He knew what I was planning on doing. How?