A Rocky Start

A couple of weeks had passed, and (Y/N) was headed to school. As the train moved towards her destination, (Y/N) sat with her elbows resting on her knees, and her face in between her palms. She was pondering about all the work she had to put in to become one of the top students at U.A. Endless study nights, long days training at Gise's agency, time away from her mom. Cancelled movie nights with friends, no more hanging out at the mall, or hanging out at coffee shops. Somehow, U.A. seemed to be the fresh start she needed to find new human connections. Somewhere she might be able to make friends, and the advantage would be that those friends would have the same commitments as her.

Although she was always more of an introvert, it seems opportunities for meeting people knocked on her door constantly. Before she met pro hero Gise for the first time by coincidence. She was forced to stop a moving vehicle with her quirk, as it was about to prove fatal for a young child. Gise was the pro hero patrolling at the moment, and witnessed the rescue by a young middle school girl. (Y/N) had never considered being a hero because she did not think she was good enough to be one. Gise thought not using her quirk was a waste of her abilities, so she gave (Y/N) the opportunity to show her what she could do. (Y/N) desired to help people with all her heart, but did not appreciate the idea of fame and exposure. She wanted to be a hero more than anything, but she also did not want her entire life revealed to the public. She really valued her privacy.

The train was punctual as always, just as (Y/N) liked all her arrivals to be. She was very early to school every day, that way she had time to relax and prepare for her studies and training in one of the study rooms while classes began. Since she was one of the top students in her class, she had many expectations to meet and her workload was larger than most.

It had been raining since the night before, and the morning was no different, but her yellow umbrella came in very handy. Stepping out of the station, she opened her umbrella and proceeded to walk to UA. She still had two blocks or travel to school, when a sudden plea for help reached her ears.

"Meeeeoow!"

"Meow..."

(Y/N) walked to a nearby alley, and found a precious gray tabby kitten taking shelter underneath a pile of garbage bags. The kitten was scared and soaked. She put her umbrella on the ground near other garbage containers and proceeded to get close to the feline.

"Oh buddy, this rain has really made a number on you, huh?"

The kitten hissed, and reached with his paw, scratching (Y/N) slightly.

"Its ok buddy, I am not here to cause harm. Let me help you, yeah?"

(Y/N) remembered she had a protein yogurt smoothie bottle as her before school snack today. She opened the bottle, and put a little bit of the smoothie in the cap in order to entice the little kitten to come towards her. The kitten sniffed in the direction of the cap and began licking the smoothie. His little body was emaciated, as if this kitten had been on his own for a while. (Y/N) reached for his ear, and the kitten sniffed her hand, before giving into the petting. The garbage trucks were making their way into the alley.

"I am worried if I leave you here, you will be gone before I get out of school. But if I take you with me right now, there is a chance I will get in trouble if someone discovers I brought you along. Well, life is a risk! Hmm... perhaps I can leave you in a study room to can hang out until I am done with school..."

(Y/N) put the kitten inside her book bag, on top of her books and sweater, and as she reached for her other belongings, she realized her umbrella was gone, as well as the garbage bags.

"Well, we're going to have to make a run for it" said (Y/N) as she moved faster towards the building.

(Y/N) arrived to school early, but was soaked from head to toe. She headed to her locker to change into her school shoes, and then turned into the east wing. She ran toward the study rooms where she usually hung out by herself. The rooms were small enough for about three to four students to quietly study, or simply lounge, nothing out of the ordinary for a top school back then. (Y/N) opened the door to one of the study rooms at the end of the hallway. She thought the room would be empty, as no one came to school to study this early anyway. As she opened the sliding door, a body was laying on the couch, but the noise woke the body up.

"Hmm... Who is there? Yamada?" said the groggy voice, coming from a yellow sleeping bag.

"I'm sorry, I did not realize this room was occupied. Oh crap!" as (Y/N) apologized, the kitten jumped out of the book bag, and ran into the space between the wall and a desk. The space was too tight for any regular human to fit and reach the kitten.

"It's too early for this. Wait, was that a cat? And why are you drenched?" said Shota.

"Shota right? I found him in an alley on my way to school. I couldn't leave him there. He was all alone and cold. I brought him here because I had no idea what to do."

Shota sat there half-awake looking at (Y/N) and her soaked clothes. He did not expect the quiet number one student from his class to do something as unreasonable as to bring a cat to school. But if there was something Shota liked, it was cats. He was intrigued by their attitudes, and how well they balanced between being a pet, and having their own personalities. Cats weren't clingy, unlike dogs. Ugh. Cats kept boundaries and knew when to make him feel better without being too needy. He really liked that.

"I'll get him out of here and look for another room, you go back to sleep and pretend I am not here."

Shota sighed.

"You go change your clothes, and I'll try luring him out of there. Class will start in thirty minutes so we don't have much time."

(Y/N) hesitated for a minute, then nodded and handed Shota the smoothie bottle.

"Here, take this. I used this smoothie to lure him in the alley earlier. Maybe it will work again."

"No need, I am prepared for situations like this" said Shota as he took out a bag of cat treats from his book bag.

"Why do you carry cat treats in your bag?"

" I feed the strays on my way home. We don't have time for explanations, go change."

(Y/N) ran out of the room to the lockers to get a fresh uniform. On her way there she thought of how different was Shota today than the one from the first day of class. He could've been a completely different person from all I know. Maybe I was too quick to judge him, or perhaps he was having a bad day.

There was fifteen minutes before classes began, and (Y/N) ran back to the room, not before grabbing a card board box from the school's printing center. She opened the door and saw Shota playing with the kitten on his lap. The kitten seemed focused on the improvised tissue ball cat toy. For a second, there seemed to be a faint smile on the tired man's face.

"I see you made friends with him already. I am glad you were able to lure him out of that corner."

"Yeah, nothing too impressive."

"Class will start soon. I will take care of him from here, thank you for......" but before she could thank him, he interrupted.

"Have you thought of what's going to happen to him while you are in class? Or even after school?"

"I will leave him in this room for now. I brought this box to keep him there while I am in class. I am going to write an 'Out of Service' sign so no one comes into this room. I will get him some more food when lunch time comes. I don't think my mother will want a pet right now, so I will have to find him a home..."

Shota lifted the small gray kitten with both of his hands. The cat meowed as he was placed in the rectangular and spacious box. (Y/N) placed her sweater inside so the kitten could warm up. She took a white sheet of paper from her UA book bag, and with a black marker wrote the sign. With a couple of pieces of transparent tape, she placed the sign on the outside of the room, near the door handle.

"Ok buddy, I will come back to see you during lunch. Behave yourself Rocky!" said (Y/N) to the little kitten.

"Meow" responded the little critter.

As they exited the room and headed over to class, Shota asked:

"Rocky?"

"Yes, I think that is a very fitting name because he is a fighter."

"I suppose."

"Shota... thank you for your help with Rocky."

"Mhmmm."

The entered the classroom, were greeted by the human microphone, and soon the bell rang marking the beginning of Mathematics class.