Agitato

I felt as if my body was sinking somewhere deep... I did not want it all to happen but I understood that there was wisdom in Madame's words. I knew she wanted to protect me – but maybe this time it was Meg who was right...? No longer could I think of it; it was so tiring to go through it over and over again.

Nevertheless, I had to admit that the fact I could not go to the audition, after all the effort and time I had put in practicing, was at least disturbing and sad. I felt... disappointed. Truth be told, I really had hoped I might get a more important role in the next production. Instead, I learnt that eveyrthing I had believed in as a child was not true.

Yes, Meg had told me more about the story she had shared with me when I had been little, but I still did not understand. Now I only knew that there was a secret neither Meg nor Madame wanted to tell me about and the more they tried to explain themselves, the less I understood. At least I knew the reason: there was something they could not share with me. They needed to protect someone else... someone I could know. Or maybe not.

Now, as I watched the young women gathering in the rehearsal room to start the audition, I felt some strange pression in my chest. I could have been amongst them if not for the fact there was somereason I could not take part in this event. Because Madame told me not to... because I could get hurt... but I did not even know how.

"Come, Arlette," I heard Meg's voice as her hand gently rested on my arm and she pulled me towards the crowd. I looked at her with surprise.

"But... your mother told me not to..." I started, hesitantly.

"No, she's told you not to take part in it," she responded, shaking her head, "but no-one has said you cannot listen to the other girls, right? At least you'll know if you are good enough to try next time you have this chance..."

There was some truth in Meg's words, however, I had to admit that listening to the other girls would only make me feel worse. Nevertheless, I would not let her down right now – I saw excitement in her eyes. She was just so happy to be able to find a way to make me feel better... and I did not want to let her down.

I let out a soft sight and nodded, allowing our fingers to entwine as she held my hand. Meg was just a real angel. I could not wish for a better friend than her; to me, she was more than a friend or a sister. I would give everything for her.

We entered the room right after the crowd and sat down on the chairs in one of the corners. We could see the girls perfectly as they prepared – some of them were happy, some excited, and then, there were those who felt nothing but fear.

I could understand all of them. I am sure I would walk around, feeling my hands sweating if I were amongst them. Right now, though, I could only take a deep breath and try to suppress my tears as I watched them getting ready for the audition.

No, do not understand me wrong; I did wish all of them all the best. I wanted them to do their best; I wanted them to be appreciated and get the roles they deserved. They were all wonderful – I knew it for I knew them. They were all my friends, better or worse, and I had grown up by their side. They were like a family for me.

The director was slightly late, and he seemed to be just as nervous as the participants, what made me pretty surprised.

Our director was a rather young man – they said he was an experienced artist, and I could believe that, because I had worked with him for quite a while now, and his young age disappeared behind his talent. That was probably why he had been accepted here, even though so many other directors had been trying to get this job.

He took his place and asked everyone to calm down, even though he did not seem to be calm himself.

"I wonder what's happened to him," I whispered, leaning closer to Meg. I was sure she had noticed that, too, even though now I had a feeling she was doing her best not to let me notice that. Was there another secret between us...?