Noah's Footsteps

Depuis le début

He nearly tripped over his own feet by her casual statement like that, "What?"

She glanced over her shoulder, an innocent look covering her face, "What?" She repeated.

Scarlett was definitely messing with him but he couldn't help but wonder if she was serious about this baby making. He knew babies had been on her mind ever since she met Rose. He thought it was too soon because they just started out.

Then Dawn showed up pregnant with Violet so they didn't have the conversation again.

He didn't just want to brush off the subject. He knew this was important to her. Today was supposed to be a fun day without much stress. Shopping and dinner with Dawn while they cuddled with Violet. Then they'd leave in the morning for their honeymoon.

All he needed to do was be casual about it too.

Letting her know that he didn't think it was something they'd discuss years from now. They sorted out their lives and were happy together.

Why wait?

"I mean we can talk about it again when we get back from our honeymoon."

She spun around on her heels and looked at him with wide eyes, "Really?"

Cupping her face in his hands, he brushed her cheek gently with his thumb to comfort her a little, "Yes, we'll discuss it when we get back. Let's focus on our honeymoon first. I think we both need to get some rest."

"A week without your phone and computer, how will you survive?" She asked jokingly.

It wasn't a big deal, all he needed to do was delegate his work and trust his brother more. Noah was busy being a dad and he also had his own tasks at the company but he could manage. Michael offered to help out too.

Leaving for a week to enjoy his honeymoon with Scarlett helped his family grow closer. He wouldn't be surprised if his father dropped in at the office too.

Just to keep an eye out on things.

"My family is capable of keeping things running while I take the week off. I'll survive."

She grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly, "Your family is special."

He pulled his hand away from her and placed his arm around her shoulders instead, pulling him close and kissing her hair, "Our family." He corrected her.

Those words didn't scare her away. She wrapped her arms around his waist and held on tight. She loved the idea of the people who were all intertwined in their lives being her family too.

***

Dawn was seated at the dining table, enjoying her food together with Scarlett while Lucian was letting Violet rest against his chest and watching an episode of some comedy crime series he just had to watch because Dawn and Scarlett couldn't believe he didn't know what they were talking about when they kept joking around about this cop show.

"Oh, she's my favorite," Scarlett announced.

Soft laughter followed, "I mean she's a strong independent woman who hates showing emotions, what's not to like?" She asked.

Lucian was sure Dawn was being sarcastic. Scarlett must have noticed it too because she made Dawn apologize by taking away her chocolate dessert. He wasn't interfering with that one, they could figure it out on their own.

"Bet the assistant living in a dream world is your favorite character," Scarlett muttered accusingly.

Dawn let out a gasp, sounding very offended by it. If you took it out of context it could be seen as Scarlett accusing Dawn of a lot more. He knew she didn't mean anything by it though. Scarlett never hid things like that from people. If she disliked you, you just knew she did.