Passion

"Finally!"

     Mikaela sighed as she sat down on the gold plastic bench in the corner of her school cafeteria. She loved the solitude of having her circled lunch table in the corner. With her back to the wall, she could see everyone and everything.

     Except for Ella. That girl had a knack for appearing by her side without notice. Mikaela's heart jumped when she saw the other sitting next to her. But as soon as her heart raced, her heart slowed back down.

     Mikaela pulled out her grey and black lunchbox. She opened her box to rice coupled with fried eggs and bulgogi along with kimchi on the side. It was something she loved to eat. If she spent the rest of her life in Korea, she wouldn't mind eating it.

     The tastes exploded in her mouth.

     "So in order for me to get the internship in the summer, I have to write an essay that explains genetic mutations in 10 pages. And five interviews." Ella informed.

     "That seems horrible. Why would you do that to yourself?" Mikaela asked.

"It'll look good on my college applications and show my commitment about being a Bio-engineer."

"You really have your life figured out at fourteen?"

"You don't?"

"No."

"What about something you're passionate about?"

"You mean sleep? Have you seen my family. My oldest brother is in Med-school. My sister is at Law-school. And Marcus is a staff sergeant at twenty-one. You think I could live up to that? I can't!" Mikaela sulked before slamming her head on the table.

"Don't be so dramatic. Come on let's go to class."

     Mikaela sat down at her desk as the teacher spoke. Five minutes in and Mr. Williams had assigned them research papers. Mikaela received the topic: Are Humans Good or Bad? The students were then given time to research. But before they could disperse, the teacher showed the students where to find resources.

     Mikaela turned to Ella and asked, 'Why do we get the hard philosophical question when other people get "why is the sky blue" when it's clearly the diatomic elements of oxygen and nitrogen in the atmosphere scattering the colors of the light. It's blue because the wavelength is the shortest among the colors and easiest to scatter."

     "Shh pay attention." Ella whispered yelled.

     "I swear if the kid say the sky is blue because it reflects the color of the ocean I'm gonna flip."

    "This is why you don't have any friends."

     "I have you."

    "I don't count. I've practically grown up with you."

     "I moved remember."

     "You see that's the thing about best friends you always find a way to each other."

     "See you're wise. I'm pretty sure my parents love you more than me. Especially because you're going to be a Bio engineer. My parents want me to be that."

     She wasn't going to admit it but Mikaela felt like her friend waited across the ocean. There was a long lost memory of her in a sandbox with someone else. But whenever she brought it up. Man Korea seemed so far away. How could her best friend be in another country?

     "Not true! They love you." 

     "Ms.Park! Please pay attention!"

     "Yes Mr. Williams." Ella and Mikaela answered.