"Anyway," Hajime kept talking, "Keep an eye on him for me, he may not act like it because he cares about you a lot but this is really getting to him. Look after him for me." I nodded, forcing a small smile.

"Yes, of course." He chuckled, patting my shoulder again before he began walking towards the door.

"Come down and have some breakfast, Mihoko is just finishing up." Then he left, leaving me alone in my room once again. Before I could head down stairs, I took several deep breaths, stopping only when I felt calm enough to continue. I hated to admit it but this was painful, why was my family only temporary?

Why can't I have a real family?

--------------------------------------

After breakfast I packed my bag and left the house, doing exactly as Hitoshi had told me to. Catch the train we usually catch together and then walk the rest of the way to school by myself. It didn't bother me too much, not at all. I was somewhat used to the solitude so it was nothing new. It was just like any other day, nothing different except the fact that the purple-haired boy wasn't by my side. Heaving a deep breath, I continued to walk, halting when I heard something out of the ordinary.

It was quiet, making it very easy to miss. The silent atmosphere of the street was the only reason I was able to hear it, otherwise I would've walked by without even noticing. It sounded like scratching, but it was still at a very low volume so it was hard to locate its source. I gave up on walking to school and decided to find it, hoping that there was nothing trapped anywhere.

After my search, I managed to locate the source of the sound. Someone had buried a metal cylinder in the ground, leaving the top open. This allowed the creature to fall and become trapped inside, unable to dig it's way out due to the metal or climb out because of the cylinder's depth. Kneeling on the ground, I reached in and scooped up the animal. When I pulled it out I was about to determine what it was, a white rabbit. But it's fur was dreaded with thick mud, some of it dried on its head, preventing it from seeing out of its left eye.

I immediately knew I had to do something, even if it wasn't much. Holding the rabbit to my chest, I provided it a small amount of heat while I thought about what I should do. I would need water if I wanted to help it but I didn't have much on me, only what I had left in my water bottle. Wanting to find another water source, I glanced around, a small smile forming when I remembered that there was a river nearby. To provide the rabbit more comfort, I pulled my blazer off and wrapped it around it as I carried it towards the river. If I was able to get the dirt off it would be okay.

Approaching the river, I knelt beside it, the rabbit obviously afraid of the loud sound which was the rushing water. To comfort it, I began petting it gently in hopes it would put its trust in me. The green aura that usually surrounded my body covered the rabbit too, giving it a sense of protection and safety. It seemed calm after a while, allowing me to stop using my quirk and begin washing the muck out of its fur. The water was cool but the rabbit didn't seem to mind, remaining in the shallow parts as I crouched with my feet in the water, shoes and socks sitting on the bank. The mud easily washed out, coming off its face and allowing it to see properly.

Even though I couldn't communicate with the furry creature, I could tell it was happy by the way it began playing in the water. It splashed around, acting more like a dog than a rabbit. I couldn't help but laugh as it splashed me, the water hitting my bare shins. But my amusement in the happy creature was short-lived, the feeling of eyes on me causing me to stop. I glanced around, trying to locate whoever was watching me and it wasn't too hard to spot them. There was a bridge nearby and peaking out from behind one of the pillars beneath was a boy I recognized from my class. He was the silent type so I hadn't caught his name over the last two days.