~

Standing between Lucy and Edmund, we all wander closer to the wave in utter curiosity - my hand gripping Edmund's tightly in anticipation. As out footsteps become drowned out the crushing sounds of the wave hitting the sand, I jolt as Eustace's voice echoes out. 

"Aslan."

Stopping in my tracks automatically, I spin around to see Aslan himself beside us all - a smile on his face as he gazes across at us all with pride. He hasn't changed since the last time we saw him, only slightly taller and larger - his mane still as fluffy and his voice still as calming.   

"Welcome children. You have done well, very well indeed. You have come far, and now your journey has come at its end."

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Lucy looking around in confusion - her eyebrows furrowing as she takes a small step toward the great lion.   

"Is this your country?"

Aslan chuckles softly and shakes his mane, gesturing beyond the wave with a widening smile. The outlines of the mountains are larger from this distance, but the never-ending wave continues to hide any more than the tips - which only increasing the burning curiosity inside me. Suddenly, Caspian's voice catches my attention - my gaze drifting toward him as he himself stares intently at the lion.   

"Is my father in your country?"

Aslan lets out a hum of acknowledgment before speaking in a rather neutral tone - not allowing any sort of emotion to seep into his voice other than comfort. 

"You can only find that out for yourself. But you should know that if you continue, there is no return."

At Aslan's words, Caspian wander closer to the wave - placing his hand upon the water whilst looking rather confused. The King looks to make a move closer to the water, but instead he sighs - turning on his heel and wandering back toward our small group huddled on the sand. I notice a few stray tears in his eyes but, before I can say anything, Edmund's voice echoes out. 

"You're not going?"

Rolling my eyes at the slightly inconsiderate approach, I send Edmund a pointed look which causes him to softly apologise - our friend shaking his head immediately.   

"I can't imagine my father would be very proud that I gave up what I died for. I've spent too long wanting what was taken from me and not what was given. I was given a kingdom, people."

He speaks as though he is telling himself this information, rather than us - for his face hardens and the tears disappear. He utters something about being a better King, but Aslan simply chuckles - shaking his mane. 

"You already are."

As Caspian nods, Aslan suddenly turns to us with an expectant gaze - Lucy taking a few steps forward when Edmund suddenly voices his opinion, shocking me slightly.   

"I think it's time we went home actually Lu, Soph."

Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, I stare up at the boy - just as Lucy questions her brother. After all, he does constantly say that he loves it here - just as we do. However, he sighs and squeezes my hand - a sign I am beginning to understand as comfort.   

"I do, but I love home and our family as well. I know that Sophia misses her brother and family too. They all need us."

Staring up at him, sadness wells up in my heart - I hadn't known he'd realised how much I was missing my family. Perhaps he was always looking after me, in ways I never knew - just as Gael had stated. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Lucy starting to tear up ever so slightly - but before either of us can say anything, a small cough catches everyone's attention. I gaze down to the sand to see Reepicheap approaching Aslan with his feather in his hands - bowing down to the great lion in a slight dramatic flare.