Our Relationship

“You know, Haymitch… You’re just unbearable!” shouted Effie, standing in front of Haymitch Abernathy, who was sitting on sofa with a glass of whiskey in his hand.

“Effie…” he replied, idly looking at the woman. “Will you stop talking today?”

“Will you stop drinking?” Effie replied in the same tone, rolling her eyes.  “Will you stop being rude?”

“Trinket… Relax!” Haymitch rolled his eyes and put the glass on the table.

“Am I the one, who should relax? You must be kidding me, Abernathy! Our tributes are going back to the arena and even if they know what to do, it doesn’t mean, you can sit here and do nothing!

You know, this year will be more difficult than previous year!” shouted Effie looking at Haymitch angrily.

“Effie I told them everything, that I know about the games and tributes! What else do you want from me?  Tomorrow the games will begin and I think we should leave them alone today!”

“Yes, but I’m not talking about tributes… I am talking about your drinking!” Effie tried to change the theme. “They need you sober and I do too…” she stops, when she understands, that she said something more than she might  to.

“Really?” Haymitch smirked. “So, why do you need me sober, princess?” after those words, Effie blushed.

“Oh! Don’t you know, Haymitch! And… Wait don’t change the theme!” Effie shouted.

“I’m not changing it, sweetheart…  You’re the one who did it!”

“You… I’m…You know what Abernathy! You… You… You’re IMPUDENT, DISCOURTEOUS and RUDE IDIOT!”

“Oh!.. Oh, really? Then I’m sorry… I hope you do not inconvenienced by my presence!?”  Haymitch frowned and stood up from the sofa.

“Enough! I’m not joking! Why can’t you be normal!?”

“Why!? Because that’s me! I can’t change myself!” he shouted and moved closer to Effie.

“Haymitch…” she rolled her eyes and already wanted to go away but Haymitch’s strong hand held her wrist and stopped her.

“So, I’m not satisfying for you, again?”  Effie saw how his shoulders strained.

“Again? Did I ever tell you that you are?” Effie laugh and again tried to free her hand but Haymitch just squeezed  her hand stronger.

“Yes? You know you’re not an ideal too!”

“Really?” Effie grinned.

“Sure! Just, look at yourself! Your mouth is not closing not even for a second! You’re wearing all this crap stuff…” he looked on her dress and wig.

“Shut up!” she screamed.

“Oh! Where are your manners are Miss Trinket!? How can you?” he copies Effie’s voice. “No one cares about those f*cking manners! Only you and the same Capitol’s dolls without a brain, like you!” he shouted and he could do it more if Effie’s hand didn’t up and gave him a slap.

“Finished now?” Effie closed her eyes trying to stop tears which were already “standing” in her eyes.

“Yes”. Answer Haymitch looking at her.

“Fine then.” whispered Effie when one tear ran on her cheek.

“Effie…”  Haymitch saw her tears and he felt guilty before her.

“What?” Effie asks trying not to look him in the eyes.

“I am sorry… I didn’t want to… and I didn’t mean it.”

“I don’t think so.” she smiled sadly and tries to free her hand again.

“Effie, I’m sorry!” he pulled her closer and move his second hand from her wrist to her waist.

“Why? Because you told the truth?” her cheeks were wet and eyes were red, because of crying.

“Effie, just don’t cry. Please!”

“Haymitch, just leave me. Ok? You’re right! Yes! You are! Be happy! I’m wondering to be an other person but I can’t. Not here. It’s impossible, Abernathy… It’s impossible…”

“No! No! I don’t want you to be someone else! I love you, as you are. I love you even in these crazy wigs and dresses, and even with makeup!

Ef… I really do. And your manners… they’re making our relationship more sweeter and interesting… I don’t know but I love it!

Forgive me, please…  I am a fool. Sorry…” the last sentence he whispered and then pulled her more closer towards him, wrapping his arms around her waist.

“Relationship?” chuckled Effie.

“Ye… Sure! From all my words, you’ve just heard that…” he was trying to hide a smile.

“No! But you said OUR RELATIONSHIP!?”

“Yep… I did.”

“About which relationship were you talking? Who am I to you?”

“Hm… a mistress, girlfriend, my love…   Nah, it doesn’t matter… The most important is that you’re MINE and no one will take you away, of course if you wouldn’t want it.” Replied Haymitch.

“Yours…” she said that thoughtfully.

Haymitch pulled her maximum closer towards him, so their lips were in some millimeters distance from each other now.

“I hate you, Abernathy…” Effie bit her lip. “But I love you more… Damn you, Abernathy… Damn you.” sighed Effie.

“Love you too princess.” giggled Haymitch and kissed her softly.

“Haymitch!” frowned Effie and put her hands on his chest pulling him away. “What if someone saw us?”

“Sweetheart, everybody already heard us!” Haymitch giggled and kiss her again and this time she didn’t stop him.