"Sorry," Edmund said sheepishly. "I mean, I suppose you can beat him... right?"

The four of them snuck a glimpse at Miraz once more.

"That's what I fighting him to find out," Peter said.

Edmund patted Peter's shoulders as a last comforting gesture. He extended Peter's sword kept inside its sheath, which he had held all the way up until that moment. Peter inhaled deeply as he drew the sword, the Narnians' cheers growing louder as he did.

"I hope you won't be disappointed..." Miraz was saying to Sopespian, grabbing his gold helmet from the man. "... when I survive."

Miraz wore his helmet and unsheathed his sword from one of the other Telmarine lords that accompanied him. Then, he walked into the combat zone. Peter followed suit, taking a few steps forward as well. The air had grown thick as the two kings started circling one another. Mary noticed Edmund, who rarely ever showed his worry, was looking extremely nervous for his brother now. She didn't know how to help, though, because she too was filled with worry.

"There is still time to surrender," Miraz taunted.

"Well, feel free," Peter retorted.

"How many more must die for the throne?"

"Just one."

Mary sucked in a breath, pleasantly surprised at his comebacks. She sent Edmund an impressed look and he merely shrugged back at her nonchalantly, mostly to convince himself that his brother would win. He did believe in Peter, but it was hard not to have doubts after seeing the power Miraz held as well as the fact that they hadn't been in Narnia for a year.

If only the situation weren't so serious, Mary would have cheered Peter on as if it were a game of sports. But she reminded herself that this was a life or death battle, so she kept quiet, just hoping that Peter would come out alive. She could save the jokes for later.

Peter pulled down his helmet, signalling that he was ready. He made the first move, bursting into a run and using one of the broken debris on the ground to jump at Miraz with a battle cry. Their single combat had officially begun.

Peter's sword clashed with Miraz's shield. The clang of their weapons from that first hit caused both sides of the field to roar. The two men moved expertly within the space they were given, looking like they had done this a million times before. They swung their swords numerous times and used their shields to block one another just the same. They ducked, jumped, and charged at one another. They moved at such a fast and routined pace that it was almost dizzying.

Soon, it looked like Peter had the upper hand. He elbowed Miraz, causing the man to stumble. Then, he hit his back from behind, making him lose balance. Edmund grinned triumphantly, sharing a hopeful look with Mary. It seemed like things would be going their way, after all.

However, they spoke too soon. Miraz redeemed himself by knocking Peter's helmet out of his head. Barely recovered, Peter had to lean backwards when Miraz swung his sword at his face. Edmund took a step forward as a reflex while Mary gasped at how close that was. Peter knelt down and swung from below, successfully cutting Miraz's leg. The Telmarine paused for a moment before charging at Peter once again. The blonde boy dodged by jumping over and rolling over to the other side. Once again, the Narnians cheered for their king at his skill and agility. But then, Miraz hit him with significantly more power than the last few, catching Peter off guard until he fell onto his behind.

Mary jumped and instinctively grabbed Edmund's hand. She almost pulled away when she realized what she did, but when Miraz stepped on Peter's shield while he was still down and they heard a sickening crunch, Edmund gripped Mary's hand tighter as his heart tugged for his brother.