Tir'an (Part Six)

Hirato got used to the fact he wasn't human anymore pretty quickly. Also, he did what all the other demons here did... He changed his name. Hirato Funai was the name he had received from Shin. And Shin betrayed him so he refused keeping that name. Instead, he gave himself a name which was free from any bad memories. Tir'an. He also found out about what his magic was. He was able to transform certain material, something like metal or wood, into any kind of weapon or armor he wanted it to. Pretty cool, he had to admit... But also, this meant he had to make a decision. Would he tell Takashi about all this? He could imagine how broken his adoptive father might be at that moment... It was a pain in the ass, that was for certain. In the end, he decided to tell him, so he texted him a message. 'Meet me at Magnolia Street in one hour if you read this. -Hirato' He actually didn't really expect Takashi to honestly read or even reply to that message, but to his own surprise, a response came after ten minutes. 'Hirato?! You're still alive?! Where are you, answer me!!' Tir'an replied with a short repetition of his previous message: 'Meet me at Magnolia Street.' 
When Tir'an arrived at that street, Takashi was already there. He was sitting on a bench and looking down. He was visibly nervous. "...Takashi..." he started. When his adoptive father looked up, he had tears in his eyes. "Hirato... It's really you...", "I'm sorry..." He inhaled, but the air was pressed out of his lungs when Takashi surprised him with a firm hug. "I'm so glad you're okay, my boy... Why did you run away?!" Tir'an closed his eyes. "...Sorry that I made you upset... But things have changed..." He buried his face in Takashi's shoulder. "I have to tell you something, Takashi... please, don't be sad..." They remained silent for a while and Tir'an felt so unbelievably glad at this one moment... And for the first time, he also was anxious about what he had to say... When Takashi let go of him, Tir'an looked away. "Now, tell me... Why did you run away...? I don't understand.", "It wasn't your fault, Takashi..." Tir'an started. "Actually... You have nothing to do with it... It was Shin's fault...", "What...?", "I never told you, I know... And I do regret it in some kind of way, but... You know that Shin's company is going down, right?" Takashi nodded without saying anything. "Actually... he started drinking very much. He became an alcoholic... And was drunk very often in the last time when you were at work. Shin had great eruptions of anger during the last months and... well, when I was trying to talk some sense into him, he started to..." he pressed his lips against each other because he knew that would internally kill Takashi. "...to hit me." Takashi remained quiet and Tir'an dared to look at him. His bright green eyes returned his look sadly. "Is that true?" Tir'an nodded. "It is... He even started beating me up and all I did was keeping it inside because I knew it would break you, Takashi... I wanted to spare you with the pain of knowing that a loved one isn't alright at all... And then... when I tried hiding the alcohol under my bed so Shin wouldn't find it, he... became so very angry that he beat me so hard I spat blood...", "Hirato..." Takashi's voice was shaking. "You...", "I got so very angry at the next moment... I had trouble breathing and I could taste the blood in my mouth... And I yelled something at him I never meant from heart and then, I ran away... I am so sorry, Takashi...", "Boy, you don't need to apologize. I can understand why you fled... When I arrived home the day you disappeared, Shin was asleep. And when you didn't return, I... got so anxious. I knew you were supposed to be home already, so I woke him up. He felt sick and he had a terrible headache, and when I asked him whether he knew were you went off to, he said you should be at home. He was very confused when I told him you weren't, so we looked for you together...", "Are you telling me he doesn't even remember what happened...?" Tir'an asked. Takashi nodded and Tir'an clenched his hands to fists. "You're kidding me... If he can't even remember the cruel things he did...!", "I heard that all from you for the first time. I didn't know what was going on at all, but I believe you, Hirato..." Takashi said. "Shin was acting strange lately, so... But if I would've just known...", "I am sorry, but I can't go home again, just as if nothing happened... Because this incident has taken my humanity...", "What are you talking about?" Takashi asked. Tir'an looked down and wiped over his eyes to prevent Takashi from seeing his tears before two black horns grew out of his head. "I am a demon, Takashi... That's the painful truth..." Silence. "I didn't want this... I never asked for it, but I couldn't do anything against it...", "Are you crying, Hirato?", "No, I'm not..." Takashi took Tir'an's head into his hands and made him look into his face. "...Poor boy... Please, don't cry... Seeing you cry breaks me more than anything else in this world... I wanted you to be happy.", "Takashi..." Tir'an wiped over his face again. Takashi let go of him. "I don't care what you are, Hirato... you're still my child and there's nothing that could change that. Nothing...", "You are a disguised angel, Takashi... I guess I was really lucky to meet someone like you... And I will miss you..." He closed his eyes. "I cannot stay... Even if I wanted... This place is too dangerous for me at the moment... I have to grow stronger to survive without fear... then, I can and I will protect you the way you protected me.", "Hirato... All I care about is for you to be save and sound. Nothing else does matter to me.", "I am terrible at saying goodbye..." Tir'an admitted. "Hirato, life is all about goodbyes and constant change. That's how it is. But you won't have to say farewell forever. I'll be waiting for you to come back to me one day so we can talk again like we used to so often." These words again drove Tir'an to tears because he knew that, in distant future, he would have to say goodbye forever. Agurith had told him that, at the very moment of his life he turned into a demon, he also became immortal. And he knew that meant he would have to watch his adoptive father grow old and die while he stayed like he was forever... and then, nothing in the world could make him ever return to him. "Takashi... That's not... true..." he said with an aching throat. "I am immortal... which means, one day, we would have to separate...", "Shhht..." Takashi put a hand on his son's head. "I am not afraid to die. Dying is not the end of life, it's a part of it. Dying itself doesn't even sadden me... what makes me sad is that I'll miss out on everything you will become in the future." Tir'an sobbed. "...But that's still a very distant day, Hirato. Don't let these thoughts and dark sights of the future take your happiness away. Don't let this be a teary goodbye." Tir'an swallowed and nodded bravely. "You're right..." He cleared his eyes again. "See ya, Takashi... please wait for me. Dad." Takashi smiled faintly. "This is the very first time you call me like this...", "I missed the opportunity of doing so, and I won't miss it again." Tir'an smiled back. "'Til we meet again, dad.", "Goodbye. Grow strong, my boy. I'll try to deal with my own life meanwhile and bring it to an order.", "A lot of success...", "Shin will have to prepare for some talk-to, that's for sure." Tir'an snickered. "Go easy on him, okay?", "I'll see on that." Tir'an hugged Takashi tightly. "I love you, dad...", "I love you too, Hirato. We'll be seeing us.", "I promise!!"