XXXV. Relations to the Italian Mafia

Start from the beginning

"Rumors say his family does business with the Italian mafia."

"Are you serious?" I was the one who asked that question, causing them to stop talking. Crystal grabs the handle of my backpack and pulls me back. "Did you hear that? I'm living with a mafia member!" I couldn't hide my excitement. I had always seen those types of people on tv, and now I'm living with one.

"You do not seriously believe that, right?" Crystal question.

"He is a prince...royalty." I point at Ahmend, who was twiddling with his nose. "And you came here on a helicopter."

"You seriously think that Pandora Academy will allow someone who's affiliated with the mafia to go here?"

"Why not?" Ahmend asked.

"I don't know?" She threw her hands in the air. "Because it's ridiculous?"

"I believe it," Madison's voice pitched in, and I turned my head to see her along with Mason and a few of their groupies. It seems they only travel in packs. Not too long after, they disappear. I've always wondered how Madison does it, hearing others' conversation while merely passing by them.

"Look!" Crystal exclaimed, "Mafias and all those shits only exist in movies!"

"Why don't we just ask Ricardo?" Ahmend suggested, and I turn my body once more to see him standing behind Crystal.

Crystal turned around, a very steady movement, and without feeling a hint of embarrassment, she asked: "Is your family linked to the mafia?"

Ricardo's mouth opens momentarily before it closes. By now, there is a crowd around us, waiting for his response, "Who are you?"

"I'm Crystal with a C; not a K," Crystal puffs her chest. "Now, answer the damn question." Sometimes, I wish I can gather as much courage as Crystal, who is standing up to someone who may or may not hold a link to the mafia.

"No," he responded, "My family isn't linked to the mafia."

"Ha!" Crystal outburst.

"Now, can you move?"

"What?"

Ricardo lifts a hand and taps his forefinger against a locker. "This is mine."

Crystal's mouth gape open, and she nods, releasing a hesitant chuckle. "My bad," she waved her hands in the air.

While Ricardo pressed in his locker code, Crystal stood there, staring at him.

"Do you mind? I want something called personal space."

Crystal puckered her lip. "Then why is everyone surrounding you?"

Ricardo looks around, "Do you guys need something?" he hissed slowly, and everyone turns their heads, pretending to converse with one another or walk away.

"Why are you here?" Crystal asked. I nudge against her waist, "I mean, I guess I can-"

"Will you shut the fuck up?" Ricardo snapped, slamming the locker that he opened a mere second ago.

"Excuse you?" Crystal's sassy tone pitched in the air as her head motion in a circular formation.

Ahmend grabbed me by the shirt and pulled me back, away from the danger zone.

"I don't fucking know you, so do-" before I can even fathom what occurred, Crystal slammed Ricardo against the lockers causing the whole school to drown in silence.

"Don't you fucking pull that shit on me. You're new here, so let me give you some pointer Winston. Unlike my cousin, I will bite back," Crystal whispered. It's true, between Josh and Crystal, she is the more violent one.

Ricardo chuckled, snapping his head lightly to the side before grabbing Crystal by the shirt. Without taking a single blink, he slammed her against the lockers. "I don't know who the fuck you think you are but don't think all because you're a girl-"

Crystal punched Ricardo in the face causing him to stumble slightly.

She smirked and slipped her backpack on the floor. "Someone hold my damn earrings because shit is about to go down for real. Spaghetti, I'm going to teach you what your mamma should've taught you."

"