iii. MAKE A CHOICE.

Start from the beginning

"you can just call me marleigh- oh my god!" the blonde jumped, her heart racing as her hand flew to grab at her chest at the sight of the back of tony's figure facing her when she rounded the corner, startling her. laughing, tony turned around.

"hey there, marleigh marie.. i see you met jarvis," the billionaire flashed a smile, leaning against the counter. marleigh huffed out a breath through her nose, before a small grin appeared on her face at the mention of tony's new nickname for her. "yeah, i did. you made it yourself?" marleigh questioned, folding her hands together as her attention stayed on the man standing a few feet across from her.

"yup, and i don't like to call him an it- i mean, you knew jarvis when he was alive, so that shouldn't be too hard for you," tony shrugged, turning his back to marleigh to continue fidgeting with the coffee machine. the blonde nodded her head, but when she realized tony wasn't looking at her, she responded.

"yeah... what are you doing awake? and making coffee at three thirty in the morning? i mean i think it's three thirty in the morning, that's what that glowy thing on steve's nightstand means right?" marleigh rambled, as she took a couple steps forward to stand next to the brunette. tony glanced at her to shoot her a small smile.

"to answer your first question; i rarely ever sleep, and two, i hate being in that kinda tired but not tired enough to pass out state so i drink coffee," tony shrugged, turning back around, now with a coffee mug in his hand. the two stood side by side, leaned back against the counter.

"and yes, that glowy thing is called a digital clock, and it is three thirty in the morning," tony answered, marleigh nodded her head. the room soon fell silent, but it wasn't an uncomfortable or awkward silence, it was more on the comforting side. after being alone in his lab since he made marleigh's bed on the floor, he was glad to have someone just be with him, and not smother him with so many personal questions regarding his sleep schedule.

"what about you? is the bed i tried to make out of blankets not comfortable enough for you?" tony joked, his amusement only rising when marleigh immediately began to tell him no no and it was definitely comfortable. "it's not that.. i really just couldn't fall asleep, so i came down here for some water- that i never got," marleigh realized, her eyebrows furrowing. tony placed his mug down on the marble counter behind him, then headed for the fridge.

"i could've gotten it," marleigh says, as she watches the billionaire open the silver fridge. the light from the inside hit his facial features, and marleigh only now realized the scar underneath his left eye and the dark circles underneath both of them. marleigh frowned, he really should get more sleep, but she didn't want to suggest anything or ask personal questions to annoy the man, so she stayed silent about it.

"nah i got it," tony responded. taking out the glass pitcher filled with cold ice water, he grabbed a glass from one of the higher cabinets. marleigh watched the water pour from out of the pitcher and into the glass, the sound of the liquid piling on top of each other filling the room.

"there you are, sweetheart," tony quietly says, sliding the glass over to the blonde. marleigh feels her heart stutter at the nickname, and she's too busy looking down at the floor so tony doesn't see her fighting back her grin to notice the man was cursing himself for letting the name slip out of his mouth.

"sorry- i, sorry," tony shakes his head, as he places the pitcher back into the fridge. marleigh looks up, frowning. tony doesn't meet her gaze. "for what?" the girl asks, concern clear in her voice. tony places his hands on the counter, his fingers squeezing around the edge of it. he dips his head down to hang in between his shoulders, but glances at marleigh, and the sight of her concerned expression and puppy dog eyes, tony sighs heavily, letting his shoulders drop.