Chapter 39- Misplaced Trust (Ava)

Start from the beginning

“Ah, I reckon you’ll be alright, Ava.” Ron smiled at me, “Look at all the extra effort you’ve put into your schoolwork.”

I shrugged, glancing down at the floor,

“Thanks Ron.”

He was right about all of the extra effort- but I had been so distracted over the year, and surely that was going to have an impact on my results.

So distracted.

The reasons for my distractions filled my mind and I shook the thought away. I stood up, brushing any dirt off of myself as I muttered,

“I should go… I’ll see you guys later.”

Everyone mumbled goodbyes in response as I started to walk away, but one voice made me stop,

“Ava, wait!”

I turned around to see Harry get up and walk towards me. He offered me a smile before hugging me awkwardly. I laughed into his shoulder and returned the hug. I had a feeling that he knew something was wrong, but he didn’t want to ask what.

I quickly blinked away the tears in my eyes and glanced over Harry’s shoulder, noticing with surprise that Draco was staring at us from about twenty metres away. When he saw me looking at him, he turned around and quickly scuttled away.

I pulled away from my brother and whispered softly in his ear,

“Thank you Harry.”

When I glanced over his shoulder again, Draco was gone.

*                    *                    *

Dinner was strange. After having seen Draco walk off earlier, I’d decided to sit with him at the Slytherin table.

But when I perched down beside him, he looked at me like I was the last person he wanted to see.

I nudged his arm and whispered,

“Hey, what’s the matter?”

Draco glanced up at me and gulped,

“I- Nothing.”

I stared at him for a moment, willing him to give me a real answer, but when all I got was a blank look, I sighed exasperatedly and turned away.

Sitting on the Slytherin table reminded me why I hated them so much. Pansy and Blaise were going on and on about a second year muggleborn girl who’d been crying in the library because she thought she was going to fail her next exam.