"Nancy, I don't know why Ola told me to take this bag and bring it here. But there's a lot of money in it." I put the bag down and opened it.

"Tola, so dis kine money naim you  keep for house?"
"Nancy on the day he was shot, his last words were, Tola take this money and go to our usual place and wait for me."

Nancy put her hands to her jaws. I guess she must be thinking how Ola came into possession of all that money.
"Tola did he tell you where the money came from?"
"He never told me anything. And I don't know where he got it from. Maybe when he gets better you can take it to him or open an investigation."

"Tola this is too much money, I can't keep it."
"Neither can I. But I've given him back his ring. Now here is something else he gave me that I am giving back." I closed the bag and gave it to her. I then took the few belongings that I had and put them into one bag. I took the bag to the front door.

"Nancy, I'm through, we can go now." Nancy may have thought I was out of my mind and told me so.

"Tola what are you doing taking your things. This house belongs to both of you."
"I know. But I don't need it. I'm not with him anymore."
"Tola you are overreacting to what happened at the hospital. But think twice. I'm not sure if you don't have a place to stay Ola will refuse you to stay here." I closed my eyes and looked up and down.
"Nancy no good will come to me staying with this man. I don't want to be reminded of what I went through because of him."

"Fine you don't want that. But just hold on a minute. I mean you have parents that love you. And sure their house is your house. But arguments do happen in families."

"And what arguments would I have with them?" I asked her.
"Look you are still married by law. Which means you still have a husband," I shook my head in disagreement.

"Tola, until you annul the marriage by getting an official divorce you are still legally his wife. And where does the wife stay? Under normal circumstance in the house of her husband." I looked at her silently.

"Tola, think twice before giving up this house. You may always be welcomed in your parents home but the day you agreed to take Ola as your husband, you are not their responsibility anymore."

Hearing Nancy talking like that gave me the impression that along the line, my parents would one day remind me I have a husband. If this was the case then it meant she was indirectly pushing me back to Ola again.

"Nancy, you are trying to send me back into the arms of the man I had just left."

"You left your ring and the man at the hospital. Not your heart. Your heart still breathes that man."  I sighed and closed my eyes.

"Nancy, a man was lying on the road helpless. I told you let's help him and you said no. I wanted to sign so he could go through surgery and you said no. Now I want to leave his house and you are telling me no."

"I must confess, I'm angry at the way you have been treated. I'm a woman, I won't be able go through what you went through.  I will never have your courage to go after a man like that."

"So?"

"Tola as hard as it is to tell you this, I just have to tell you. Whatever decisions you take leaving this house and everything about Ola, might change your relationship with your parents."

I was about to panic when she said that. My parents had always shown me love and support. I couldn't imagine them behaving differently.

"Nancy, if it comes to that, I may hang out at your place for a while."

"No you can't." She said shaking her head. " You have a house, your own house. It would be foolish of you to squat."  I looked thoughtfully at her. She had a point. I have a house. Why was I leaving it?

"Go back home to your parents and tell them you're not in the marriage anymore and that you're giving up everything. Then come back and tell me how they reacted."  She came forward and took the bag with my belongings in them.

"Tola this house is yours. No matter what happens, don't give it up. You still have a place to run to and hide should things go bad."  I took what she said and went back home. It was close to dinner time and I had just got home. I greeted my father who was in the sitting room.

My mother was in the kitchen preparing dinner. I greeted her and went to my room briefly before coming out again. I decided to help her set the table just to keep myself busy from thinking of all that had happened at the hospital. My mother kept looking at me probably to see if I was alright. She must have had the feeling I wasn't. But she couldn't get herself to ask me either.

When everything was set, I had to tell my dad food was ready. He came and we all sat down to a quiet dinner. But while I was eating, I kept thinking of  Nancy's words, hoping that what she told me would never happen.