Chapter Three

Kino started to walk away. It took me a few seconds to render on what just happened in front of me.

"What Ki— Hyunggu, where are you going?" I ran up to him, panting.

"Who told you that you can call me Hyunggu?" He stopped walking. I looked up to his face and saw everything about him changed. His eyes dimmed,  his voice darkened, and his original Korean accent slipping through his English words.

"Hyu— Kino wait!" He stomped away from where we were standing, and in a matter of seconds, Kino blended in with the crowd. He was nowhere to be seen. I sighed.

I wonder what's up with him.

I started to walk back towards my own hotel. I saw many tourists, ranging from skin colors, from pale to tan. Everyone looked good against the white sand this island had to offer. I decided that I should just enjoy the rest of the day with myself. I took off my slippers and ran towards the shore, but being careful not to get my phone and wallet wet. I looked into the scenery, the bright blue sea contrasting to the white sand I was walking on.  It felt calming even if many families were taking their turn to swim and tan. I smiled at myself, as I slowly walked from one point to another. I took a look at my surroundings, from the beach umbrellas to the sand that I'm stepping on. My bracelet glistened, as if it was made out of diamonds. As the scenery seemed familiar, I went back to the gravel walkway to go to my hotel room. I put down my slippers and put them on. I went inside the alleyways of the walkway and finally found myself inside of my hotel. I stepped into the garden area and washed the sand off my feet, and before I go into the lobby, someone shouted my name.

"Mari!" Yelled my aunt who was by the poolside. I smiled and ran towards her.

"So how's your date?" She asked as I knelt down and approached her.

"Fun, although he had to bail, and it's not a date you know," I pouted, thinking of what happened moments before.

"Why, what happened?" 

"I don't even know?"

"Oh really? This isn't some scheme of yours?"

"What?" I laughed, "You still don't believe me?" The selfie!

"Yes," She splashed water onto my face.

"I have proof we met! I have a sel..." I trailed out in realization that Kino didn't send me any of our selfies together. Wow I do sound insane.

"Well?" She asked, waiting for what I was going to say.

"I uh, nothing," I pursed my lips.

"You liaaaar! It is a scheme!" She said, splashing water onto my face again.

"Bad," I said, repeating her actions. We both laughed, then she motioned me to join her. I placed my phone and wallet onto a nearby table and had fun.

🌞🌞🌞

"So did he really just leave like that?" My mom asked as she took care of my younger sibling yet again.

"Yeah, it sucks," I said while taking a look on my bracelet.

"That's pretty anak, where'd you buy it?" My mom asked me once again.

"There's this manong who sells such pretty bracelets and necklaces! We might pass by him later after dinner!" I said excitedly.

"How much is that?" 

"Fifty pesos,"

"Expensive!"

"No mom, I bought two bracelets for fifty pesos!"

"Ah," My mom said, feeling relived. "I thought you spent your money in useless things again,"