Chapter 14

A piercing scream bellowed out of the blonde as Bubba raised a mallet over his shoulder, his arm reared back to get a good swing. The redheaded man thought quick and grabbed the doorknob, slamming the door in Bubba's face and locking it before the hammer could come down and crack one of their skulls open. Both of them put their weight against the door, struggling to keep him out as he rammed into it over and over.

A high-frequency hum vibrated through my head, my ears ringing from Thomas' piercing wails. The beginnings of a migraine panged in my temples and wrapped around my head like a crown. I managed to squeeze Thomas tightly to my chest but that was the extent of comforting him I could do. I was frozen. Crouched in the corner and paralyzed. 

The blonde whipped her head around, the golden locks tied up on her head unraveling and falling to her shoulders. "The chair!" she shouted at me, tilting her head toward the object. "Help us barricade the door."

Bad idea. She couldn't use the chair. That was Grandma's chair. I stared back at her, wanting to shake my head but reckoned immobilized by fear and the obligation I had to protect the baby in my arms.

Upon seeing I would be no help to their endeavors, the blonde spoke up again, shouting over all the screams and sobs. "Hold the door," she instructed the man at her side.

The redhead pushed his shoulder against the door, his brown suede shoes slipping and sliding on the hardwood. "Wasn't planning on letting him in, Penny!" He jeered, more than a touch of frustration in his voice.

"Not the time, Dwight." She sprinted across the room, her eyes fixed on the back of the chair. "We can use this to–" a piercing screech tore from her throat when she laid eyes on the one who occupied the seat. Grandma. "Oh my God! Oh my God!" she fell flat on her butt, repeating the same phrase.

The redhead, Dwight as Penny called him, struggled to keep the enraged man out. Bubba rammed into the door, putting his entire weight into each blow. The wood splintered and cracked audibly while the screws holding the hinges into the frame loosened. It wouldn't be long before he ripped the hinges from the wall, taking the door off completely.

"Penny hurry! I can't hold him back for much longer."

Her face fell gaunt, the color in her cheeks dissipated. She nodded shakily and sucked up her tears. Grabbing the arms of the chair and turning her face to the side, she squeezed her eyes shut so she wouldn't have to be face to face with the corpse and shoved the chair across the floor. She pushed it against the door and tucked the top of the chair beneath the doorknob, the extra weight enough to hold the door shut, and deter Bubba from making any more headway to get in. Dwight backed away from the door, watching it to make sure the barricade was doing its job.

In an instant, the house fell silent. Even Thomas had somewhat ceased crying. The floor creaked and groaned outside the door, the noise growing fainter as Bubba retreated. Though where he withdrew to I did not know.

"What the hell is that?!" Dwight shouted, finally realizing what was in the chair they used to block the door. "Is it real?!"

"It's Grandma." I rose to my feet with Thomas on my hip and held the wall to assist in easing myself up. "You don't have much time. You have to go. Now."

My mind had ceased its inefficacious buzz keeping me from assessing the situation and working out a plan of escape. I couldn't waste another second huddled in the corner. These people were going to die if I didn't do anything. I refused to let that happen. Not when I was perfectly capable of at least trying.

Scanning the room, I searched for a way out. There was only one door and it was barricaded for good reason. All that was left was the window. It was a long drop, but beggars couldn't be choosers. I sat Thomas on the floor and gave him the toy he dropped earlier though it helped none to control his tantrum. The yellowed lace drapes were sticky with dust in my hands as I ripped them to the side with one swift motion. Unlike the basement window, this one wasn't nailed shut.