Voice

“I’m home.” Nowaki called as he entered the apartment, with a bag in hand.  

“Oh welcome back.” Hiroki said pouring some tea.  “What’s in the bag?”

“Chicken, we haven’t had any in a while and it’s so late I thought why not.” Nowaki explained.

The scent made Hiroki’s stomach growl, he stood up and walked over to the counter.

Nowaki had left the counter top to go and get some plates from the cablet.

“Oh by the way you got a phone call, today.” Hiroki said as  gentle as possible. He had no idea how Nowaki would react to this.

“Oh really, who?” Nowaki asked placing one plate on the counter.

“Your sis…” Before Hiroki could finish the sentence Nowaki was across the room and had the phone in hand. He had never seen Nowaki move that fast. It reminded of the cartoons he use to watch as a kid, were the character would move so fast, and leave the others dazed and confused.

“Hiro-san when did she call?” He asked going through the caller ID.

“About 2:30.” He said walking around the countertop pick up the  plate that Nowaki had dropped, and return it to the sink.

Nowaki skimmed through the numbers and found a call timed 2:26. Close enough, Nowaki thought as he smiled widely and pressed talk.

----------------

Rōzu was reading and enjoying a cup of tea with her father when the phone rung.  

“I’ve got it!” she called gliding over to the phone with a grace that Oum only saw when she was excited or nervous about something.

She picked up the phone slowly, not recognizing the number.

“Kon'nichiwa,” Her voice was sing song, but Rōzu felt like it was filled with cracks.

Nowaki felt a chill run down his spine as a female voice came through the phone. He bit his lip and looked at Hiroki who was just watched him, waiting for the crash and burn.

“Umm… Hello is anyone there?” The voice called though Nowaki had no idea what to say so he said the first thing that came to mind. “Hello, my name is Kusama Nowaki. Is Oum Mikami or Oum Rōzu there?”

“Nowa-san!” Nowaki heard the girl squeal and start to quiver. But it was the nickname that broke him. He allowed the tears to fall as he smiled a smile that Hiroki hadn’t seen since the night of the proposal.

“Papa, it’s Nowa-san!” he heard Rōzu call to someone in the background.

“How are you?” Nowaki said though the tears and laughter. He couldn’t remember ever being this happy.  

“W...What?”  Rōzu asked not hearing what Nowaki said though her calls to her dad.

“How are you?”  Nowaki asked again.

“I… I’m great. I’m gonna be graduating college this year and hope to open my own bakery soon after.”

“That's great what is your favorite…” His voice cracked as more tears fell. “I’m sorry.” he said on implose.

“It’s ok, I’m crying to.” Rōzu said in a comforting voice. “I really want to hug you right now.” the voice squeaked.

“Is… Is dad there?” the moment the words left Nowaki’s mouth he wanted them back. He wasn’t done talking to his sister, and he wasn’t sure if he was ready to talk to his dad.

“Yeah, he’s here.” Rōzu said looking over to her dad, who sat up in excitement and worry. “Do you wanna talk to him?”

A strike of fear came to over him and a shiver ran down his spin. He didn’t know what to say or do in that moment, he had just frozen.

Hiroki waved a hand in front to Nowaki’s face.

On instick he said, “H...Hai?”  he turned to Hiroki. He felt himself shaking as he heard Rōzu call, “Papa.”

Nowaki could feel a shiver run down his spine, he felt like he was on a roller coaster, and they were about to hit the first drop. His skin  broke out in goosebumps as he heard male voice on the other end of the phone.

“Kon'nichiwa,” the voice was rugged and sounded dry, nowaki could sense a bit of nervousness to it.

He bit his lip, not knowing what say he said the only thing he could say, “Father.” his voice cracked and Hiroki faced palmed behind him.

“Nowaki…” the voice came again, there was an awkward silence than the voice said something unexpected, “You sound just like your mom.”

“What was she like?” Nowaki asked simply because he wanted to hear the being speak more. His mind flashed back to nights in the orphanage, where he would stay up wishing and hoping that someone would come for him.

“If i had to describe her, she was fearless, stubborn, patient, and just all around a good person. From the pictures you sent you look alot like her to. You have her eyes.” he commented.

“Thanks, dad.”

A siliance again. It felt like there was  some kind of wall between them and there was no way though it.

“I’m sure you have a lot of questions, just ask if you want to know?” His voice was comforting and welcoming, it was exactly how Nowaki imagined his dad's voice.

Suddenly all those nights he spent crying in the orphanage came back to him. Every Time there was a storm, or a birthday party, he would smile and laugh along with the other kids at day but at night he would cry  silently, at the thought that he didn’t even know his real birthday.

 The memories brought on tears and Nowaki fought to keep them back. “Yeah…” He sniffled and wiped his eyes.

 “Yeah, I have just one.”

“I will answer anything you want.”

 “What is my birthday?”