-Chapter 13-

Depuis le début

"Happy Birthday," Misaki said carrying a box into the living room. "This is my gift to you."

"Thank you," He replied taking the gift. He carefully opened it to see a set of cooking utensils.

Misaki looked everywhere in the room except at Takumi. "I don't exactly know what you like but you did say you can cook so I thought you could use these."

She started to panic when their eyes accidentally met and the way he was staring at her made her feel as though he didn't like the gift. "The person said this is a good brand. I don't really know as I don't cook," She muttered under her breath. "If there's something you want to exchange it for I can take it back and get it. I won't feel bad."

Takumi listened to her mumble about the gift then looked at the utensils in the box. He couldn't help himself from chuckling. This, of course, made Misaki think he was laughing at her choice of a gift. Her cheeks started to turn red with an embarrassment that Takumi noticed.

"I'm not laughing at the gift. I appreciate it a lot. I just thought it was funny seeing you flustered over a gift," He admitted amazed with the side of Misaki he got to witness. Takumi never imagined she would be like this. This woman was filled with many surprises he suddenly wanted to experience.

As if it was possible, Misaki's cheeks turned even more red at his confession. She lightly pushed him. "Idiot, why didn't you say so earlier."

"Seeing you like this was interesting."

"I will send you to the hospital for your birthday," Misaki warned.

Takumi surrendered not wanting to be punched. "I'll be spending the day with Kuuga if you don't mind. I'll try to return early."

"It's okay. Enjoy the day with your friend. Have fun," She said then left him alone to finish getting ready. She still had to make calls to ensure everything was prepared for Takumi's surprise party tonight.

Misaki had arranged for Kuuga to take out Takumi for the day while everyone else got ready and went to the venue to surprise Takumi. So far it seemed as though he had no clue about the party which was great. She hoped the party tonight would be a complete success. Nothing must go wrong tonight. Little by little, she was becoming comfortable with Takumi.

~0~

Kuuga had decided to take Takumi to a bar for some light drinks before they leave for the surprise party. He also wanted to drink away all his problems too. Once he had a good amount of drinks, it cleared his mind and he was able to move on from whatever was happening in his life.

When he met Sakura he instantly noticed her infatuation with him but he thought after some time she would get bored as he did. He should have known she was the type to want long term relationships. She was a nice woman but he had no intention of settling down. It was best to end it now than give her false hope.

"Why are you sulking?" Takumi said upon his arrival. Kuuga was a party person but yet here he was seeming lost in his thoughts.

"Enjoying my new single life," Kuuga held up a glass.

Takumi was confused. "When did you and Sakura break up?"

"Today, I had to let her know I had no plans of staying with her for too long. A drink for my friend," Kuuga told the bartender.

"So you basically made her feel as though she meant nothing to you?"

"It was fun-"

"Please tell me you didn't say that to her?" Takumi wondered.

"Yes," Kuuga replied taking a drink from the bartender. "She's a grown woman. She'll get over it."

This was the person who was previously giving me relationship advice, Takumi thought.

"I doubt she'll get over this so easily. You should call and apologize," Takumi urged his friend. "If you don't want to be in a relationship with her fine but at least show her some respect. It'll be hard for you to settle down with how you handle your relationships."

Kuuga laughed. "You had a girlfriend while engaged to another woman. The way I see it we're alike but at least I'm honest Takumi."

Takumi took a sip of his drink after hearing Kuuga's words. "Honesty huh."

"You turned twenty-six today. Do whatever you want to do with your life and explore new things. Cheers to your birthday!"

Takumi clinked glasses with Kuuga. His friend's previous words didn't hurt him as he knew Kuuga had problems of his own that he kept a secret. Honest? No one was ever truly honest.

Takumi and Kuuga spent hours watching sports, eating, and having drinks here and there until Kuuga decided he wanted to change their location. Now they were in Kuuga's car entering a fancy hotel. Takumi hoped Kuuga had no plans of inviting him to meet his lady friends.

Takumi exited Kuuga's car looking around to see that the hotel was packed today as it was filled with many cars. Being the genius he was, Takumi guessed his friend was leading him into a party. It had been suspicious Kuuga only drank light drinks today. He usually went all out for birthdays.

He followed Kuuga into the huge building where the employee's ushered them to large double doors.

"Surprise!" He heard when the doors were pushed open. He was greeted by many of his friends, business partners, and family members. "Happy birthday!" They cheered.

Kuuga grinned beside Takumi clapping his hands and wishing Takumi a happy birthday once more.

"Happy birthday," Misaki said approaching the pair. "I hope you like my surprise?"

Takumi froze. He had thought Kuuga was the one who did this not Misaki. What else could this woman surprise him with?

He was about to thank her when he felt a light tap on his shoulder. "Happy Birthday."

The grin on Kuuga's face completely vanished. "Mei?!"

Updates Every Friday around 9 pm

Follow IG: violet_167ff