Chapter Two: New Beginning

I was still in pain when I went to school on Monday, I was wearing my usual baggy jeans and sweater that covers the bruise all over my body. Thank god it’s cold so I don’t look like an idiot wearing winter clothes to cover all my bruises.

I can’t even walk properly, and it seems like Dan is really punishing me for kissing Max cause for the first time he didn’t drive me to school.

Apparently, when I skipped school on Friday, the guidance counselor called our house and since Mom was out, it was Dan who answered. He went to school to look for me, perhaps afraid that I’ll escape. He looked all over the school for me and reached the school field when he saw me and Max kissing. My teachers thought something was wrong about me since I wasn’t at school. I never skipped school before since that was the only time that I can be out of Dan’s sight.

I made my way to my locker like as if I am having dysmenorrhea, my whole body is sore. All I want is to lie in bed but I don’t want to be anywhere near Dan.

“You look wasted!”

I closed the door of my locker to see who it was, that was Nicole, wearing his usual, tank top and short skirt and high heels. Though I notice her new hair color, her usual brownish locks is now auburn red.

“I’m sore” I whispered.

She looked at me.

“Business again?”

I shook my head, I remember what Dan did to me on Friday and I felt my tears forming in my eyes. I can’t even talk since I am afraid that I might breakdown, the last thing I wanna do right now is to cry in front of the whole school.

I felt Nicole grabbed my hand to the ladies room.

“He did it again?” she asked.

I nodded then I heard her took a deep breath.

“Why are you letting him do that, why don’t you just leave? Escape?” she said impatiently.

I shook my head.

“I tried . . . so many times” I said hopelessly.

I stood near the sink as I watched her asked the people in there to vacate the place. When she was sure that no one was there but us she looked at her reflection in the mirror and pulled the strap of her brassiere like what she also did the last time.

“I am leaving” she said without even looking at me.

I cocked my brow.

“Where are you going?” I asked unconsciously

“I am going to Florida . . . for good.”

I widened my eyes; she is going to another state? For what?

“Why?” I asked with curiosity.

She smiled at me.

“I don’t want to be here anymore, I don’t want to be with my alcoholic dad who beats my mom every time he gets drunk and I don’t want to be with my mom who’s secretly banging our 17 year old neighbor” she said without even looking at me.

I looked at her with sympathy. I didn’t expect that she is going through something like that. I am not the only miserable person after all. I just envy her on how well she manages her situation. The way she carries herself you will never notice that she lives in a home like that.

“Do you have any relative in Florida?” I asked trying to figure what will happen to her once she leaves.

She shook her head.