The Best Mistake of My Life - Pt. 2/7

Start from the beginning

The captain – Steve – didn't touch his food either, his brilliant blue eyes with just a drop of green watching you sincerely, wondering what was going on in the head of yours. Good luck with that.

"I'm not sure what you mean, so I'll say no. You're... you seem like a kind person, you're a... very beautiful woman and-- I'd be lucky if you wouldn't reject me right away."

You chuckled incredulously at that, your heart picking up pace. Oh wow, did he just call you a very beautiful woman? What was the last time someone had done that? (Your mum didn't count.) Were you dreaming?

"Steve..."

He perked up when you finally addressed him correctly.

"I spent my life hoping that I won't meet my soulmate until I'm 80 at least, because otherwise it would be really creepy. I was hoping the number meant literally anything else than their age. And if I understand correctly, you believed you'd be a disappointment to me. I'm... maybe I can only speak for myself, but I'd say that this is the best possible turn of events I could wish for," you finished with something that resembled an awkward but delighted laugh, believing every word you said.

What better outcome this could have had? You were both young and healthy people and as far as you understood, neither of you were disgusted by the choice the universe had made when binding you. That was awesome, right?

He observed you silently for eternity, his expression unreadable, and you panicked you had read this wrong after all.

"I mean... I think we're soulmates for a reason. It doesn't always work out, I know, but we should at least try, right? Get to know each other? I mean, I know you're Captain America, but you're much more than some persona from the history books and I like to think this deserves a chance-.... Maybe I'm stupid, but-"

During your monologue, his lips curled up into the spine-melting smile again and he reached over the table to catch one of your hands that had been gesturing rather wildly; not that you had noticed until he stopped you.

For the second time that day, his lips brushed you knuckles, sending you into a cardiac arrest and warming up your chest at the innocence and sweetness of such action.

"I think you're amazing," he breathed out, looking into your eyes from under his incredible pretty eyelashes, effectively turning you into a lovesick puddle.

"You d-do?"

The incredible smile of his was back. Oh god. He was so out of your league.

He gently released you and you suddenly felt embarrassed and awkward under his undivided attention.

"I do. And I'd like to know you better too."

"O-okay."

A+ for that response. But could anyone blame you? Steve was actually watching you as if you were the eighth wonder of the world and it was impossible to accept that this was somehow happening.

"Okay," he echoed softly.

He gestured to the food then with one eyebrow questioningly raised and you had to blink, returning back to earth where you had actually come here to eat. You couldn't remember what it felt like being hungry, too overwhelmed with the turn this conversation took and the emotions it swirled.

He had called you a very beautiful woman. He had called you amazing.

Steve waited for you to start eating, only then joining in. What a gentleman. How were you soulmates with this man again? How could you ever deserve him?

You swallowed the bite of food hastily as you felt the sudden urge.

"Steve?"

"Yes, d- yes?"

Any other time, you would wonder what he wanted to say, but you had to get this out of your chest.

"I think you're amazing too," you admitted sheepishly despite the fact it was totally implied he was kind of a god.

You might even feel a bit silly for saying it out loud, but the twinkle in his eyes and the smile that lighted up his face assured you that you didn't misstep. God, he looked as if you just told him the best news he could ever get. It made you nearly choke on your spit.

He was so devastatingly handsome when smiling, radiant... when a spark of a mischief appeared in his irises, a promise of fun on top of the tenderness he had been showing until now, you were done for. That was it; he already owned your heart, just like that. Was it him or was it because of the... soulmate connection? You decided it was both and that it didn't matter.

"I'll try to maintain that cover then."

It took you a moment to realize what he was going at. Right. Soldier. Or a spy, whatever. And apparently a dork. You were such a lucky woman, weren't you?

"Uh-huh, what are like when you're not undercover then?" you played along, already knowing he actually was that awesome and he couldn't have been pretending this whole time.

He didn't miss a beat. "Me."

Your eyebrows shot up unwittingly. That was all he was gonna give away?

"Huh. I guess I'll just have to find out, aren't I?"

He charmed a lopsided smile that did something to you on a visceral level, which kinda startled you; you really were falling impossibly fast for him, in every possible way. And you realized you didn't mind at all. You trusted him for some reason, trusted him to catch you in your fall until you could hit the ground. God, you were turning into a complete sap.

"Guess you are," he confirmed cheekily and you smirked as a shot of confidence flooded your veins. Did he think he had the upper hand here? He had said that he hadn't been fully accustomed, right? There were things you were about to help him adjust to...

"Looking forward to it," you hummed and winked at him before you returned to your pancake with gusto. "Not sure you should feel the same about me, Mr. You. My secret identity might surprise you."

Steve watched you, not blinking, apparently not expecting you mirroring his attitude. He squinted at you playfully and you had to admit you felt the weight that had fallen on your chest earlier, when he had talked about mistakes, disappear into a thin air. You could actually see now that maybe, just maybe, you two could be a good fit despite the terrible differences in the social ladder.

"Are you saying you're trouble, madam?" he pried, something as if strict yet teasing creeping into his voice.

You wondered if it was how he talked to his co-workers and inferiors. He was a captain – he was bound to have inferiors, right? Was this his captain voice then? It tickled your fancy, to be honest.

"I guess you'll have to find out, Sir."

Steve chuckled and shook his head, finishing his food. "I can already tell you are."

"Is it... bad?" you asked, suddenly hesitant.

"No, doll. I actually really, really like it."

The casual slip of a pet name only accented his words and you were absolutely certain now. Oh yeah. You were truly looking forward to getting to know your soulmate.

Even if he was 95 years old.

-----Notes:
Exam time ahead. So, logically, I felt the need to turn off my brain...

This AU is still on my mind and I need soft Steve. And a bit of angst, but it will get better in the next part, promise ;)

P.S. I'm incorrigible. I know. Thanks for reading.