17. Self Restraint

Start from the beginning

"That's great, it's great to have you here. I'm sure my brother already told you but I just want you to know that your confession is completely private and confidential. Joseph wouldn't even discuss it with me" the Baptist assured her with a kind smile. He definitely was the best groomed out of the three brothers. His beard was more neatly shaped, like he put more effort into it than the others, his hair was slicked back nicely, and his clothes were of a much higher quality and price than his brothers'.

"How did you know that I was thinking about that?" Evelyn asked, shuffling her feet slightly and looking down at the ground.

"It's a gift" John chuckled but sensed that Evelyn needed a little more of an explanation than that. "Because you've been acting a little strange and nervous, you and Joseph aren't attached at the hip so that gave Jacob and I a reason to think something wasn't quite right" he explained with a smile, letting her know that everything was okay.

"Oh well...thanks for telling me that, John" she smiled at him, appreciating the reassurance.

"I feel like we should talk some more, Joseph always talks so highly about you and I think I should get to know you because of that" John commented. It was true, John wanted to know the woman that had so much of his brother's attention, and he would be lying if he said that something wasn't pulling him towards her just a little.

"Sure, that would be nice...he really talks about me a lot?" the young woman asked, confused about why Joseph would speak about her when she wasn't around.

"At least once a day" John nodded with a small laugh. "Why do you ask?" he questioned, tilting his head ever so slightly. Okay, Evelyn has to admit that it was kind of cute when he did that.

"Oh, I just didn't realise that I am such an interesting topic to talk about, is all. I don't understand why any of you would be so interested in me" she shrugged, laughing softly to herself.

"I used to be like you" John sighed and Evelyn had no idea what he was talking about.

"Excuse me?" she asked, not sounding offended just genuinely confused.

"I used to wonder what impact I had on the world, never understood why anyone would pay any extra attention to me but I sought out attention anyway. Now, you definitely don't seek attention, you do quite the opposite. You drift off to the outskirts and hope that nobody notices you, I think that's something that Joseph likes about you. But you should have a little more confidence in yourself" John smiled slightly but his tone was more serious than it had been during the rest of their conversation.

"I...uh, I don't know what to say" Evelyn stumbled over her words, tucking some hair behind her ear.

"Don't worry. But if you ever need...company, feel free to come find me. If it's not the day of a sermon, I am usually at my ranch, you can find me there" he offered her a place to go, and Evelyn realised that he was the second Seed sibling to do that. She really was beginning to feel like she was someone completely different around here.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" She asked, not really realising what she was saying until it was too late.

"You act like nobody has ever been nice to you before" John hummed, raiding an eyebrow at her.

"You and your family were strangers to me but you were still so kind, I just don't understand" she shrugged. Strangers aren't this nice to people, the Seed siblings are like a completely different species...but in the best way.