Morag arrived just ten minutes before her and now, the two women sit across from them with cups of tea in their hands.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again, Roger, this house is absolutely stunning," Winnie marvels as Rebecca's mum nods in agreement, "Do you miss the city at all?"

"The quiet can take a bit of getting used to," Rebecca admits, "But now that we're here, I don't think I could go back."

"And how's the commute?" Morag asks, "I would think it's a chore."

She looks at her husband since he's the one who does most of the travelling back and forth, "Rog?"

"It has its days," he nods, "But most mornings, it's actually alright. It's getting back out that's the bloody nightmare."

Rebecca won't admit it but she's glad for the small talk. Like she's mentioned, she knows that her mum will be happy for them, Winnie too but that doesn't stop her palms from clamming up.

She had thought about doing it a really cheesy way, like getting them mugs with #1 Grandmother on them but Roger had thought it was just that - cheesy so they were just going to tell them.

The two mothers are chatting quietly amongst themselves and the two look at each other and nod, agreeing that this is the right time and Roger puts a reassuring hand on her knee as he clears his throat, which silences them.

"So we didn't invite you here just to have coffee and a catch-up, though it is lovely. We'll have to do it again, really..." He's stalling and Rebecca has to squeeze his hand gently to get him back on track, "Right! We actually have an announcement. Quite a good one, really."

"Roger,"

His mum is looking at them expectantly while Morag is biting her lip to stop herself from laughing at his ramblings.

"Right, sorry love. Maybe you should tell them, Bex."

Rolling her eyes fondly, she wordlessly places her hand on her stomach, giving the two women a smile, "We're having a baby."

"Oh!" Roger's mum gasps, "Oh!" She gets up and circles the coffee table to wrap her arms around Roger, who quickly stands up, "Oh, Roger!"

Rebecca looks at her mum, who's looking like she could cry but she gives her a smile, "Rebecca, love."

The two of them meet in the middle, where Morag hugs her tightly, swaying the two of them back and forth which makes Rebecca laugh.

Winnie is full on sobbing when it's her turn to give her a hug, resting her hand on her cheek as she smiles through the tears, "Thank you."

"Please don't say that," Rebecca laughs again, "I'll start crying too in a minute."

"So many questions," his mum says, taking her hand to lead her to the couch, where she's sat in the middle of the two, "First off, how far along are you?"

"I'll be going into my fourth month soon."

"That far?" her mum's mouth drops, "Why didn't you say anything?"

And so Roger and Rebecca explain what had happened, about the whole not knowing thing and the clinic.

"Any morning sickness?" Morag asks and she shakes her head.

"I'm a little bit tired but nothing other than that. I think I'm one of the lucky ones."

Rebecca happily answers the rest of their questions while Roger makes them some more tea but all too soon, the taxi arrives to take them back to the city so they can their trains and they walk them out, where Winnie wraps her into another tight embrace.

"Thank you," she repeats, "Can't think of anyone better to raise a family with my boy."

"I told you not to say that!" Rebecca shakes her head, looking up at the clouds as she wills the tears not to fall. She's cried enough these past few days.

As the taxi leaves the driveway, Roger wraps his arm around her shoulder as they both wave.

"What'd my mum say that's got you all teary?" he asks.

"Nothing," she smiles, "Wished me good luck. Apparently, it took her hours to push your massive head out and she hopes I don't suffer the same fate."

His fingers dig lightly into her shoulder, eyes widening as she starts laughing.

Little did Winnie know, she couldn't think of anyone better to raise a family with than her son.

||-||

me whenever brian posts anything on instagram